Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I was working on my bike, intermittently taking little test rides around the block. One of the neighbor kids who will be a junior in high school next year was hanging in the street with a group of about 8-10 kids. They looked bored out of their minds, like they always do. I did my typical thing where I ride up to them and see what's up. As we went through the standard motions -- me asking questions, them wishing I would go away -- I found myself asking Tommy if he wanted to go on a mtb ride with us tomorrow. I remembered that his mom told me the other day that he wanted a mountain bike. He didn't see this question coming, looked around at his friends, and said, "yeah, if I'm up." Well the next morning he was up. He went to an LBS (where he works a few hours now and then) and picked up a 2007 5 inch travel Raleigh that a rep had left for them to check out (a free demo for him). And, the best part was when he told me his mom said she would buy him a mountain bike if he rode with me 5 times. So, we went riding with Tommy today, his first mountain bike ride.

At the top after a good 2500 vf of climbing (Tommy lost his cookies on the way):

Julie started us off

We met some nice backpackers

Tommy's follows Julie for his first (of many) switchbacks

Tommy getting the hang of things

Tommy picks up the pace

Tommy doesn't lack confidence

Tommy enjoying the meadows

Pic of my buddy Brian, because he tolerated my last minute group addition

Mrs. cowdog (aka julie) shared some wisdom with Tommy

We saw wildlife

Requisite Flux pic (this is a Turner forum)

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tscheezy said:
I recognize that meadow now.
Have you ridden in SW Montana? Cool. I've seen some of your TRs but didn't realize you had been around this area as well.

We like to ride as many different places as we can. I'm just back from riding for a week (+ a wedding) in Winthrop and Bellingham areas in Washington. I found the dense north Cascades vegetation interesting ... to a point.

Attachments

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Nice PSA cowDawg. See if Tommy's friends pick it up!

Is there really a trail in that last pic? I'd be gushing blood from all the insect bites!

BTW - Mrs. Rocker tossed her breakfast on a kiddie ride yesterday in front of my 4-1/2 and 8 year old boys. That was entertaining :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.