Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a difference 10 degrees makes!! Last week was like riding in an oven. So far, this week has been a delight. When I got home tonight it was only 98 degrees instead of 108 to 113 that I saw last week. Cold snap!!

On today's commute I attached the camera to my backpack chest strap and took my time. Of course I was late to work, I'm always late (except on Mondays when the boss dude gets his panties in a wad if I miss his meeting which I KNOW he holds at 9 sharp just to test me). This is not a movie but a bunch of pics from today strung together in sequence. Some lucky self-timer shots, some one-handed self portraits, and a co-worker got me into the picture sequence. Enjoy, or not. Just thought I'd share....

Kathleen :)

p.s. all pics were taken today. It was the first colorful sunset in a long time, enhanced by the big cloud of smoke from something on fire in South Phx. Anyone know what was burning?

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
nice. i like how you captured how the bike makes chicken salad out of going-to-work's chicken $h!t. :thumbsup: sweet that the trail is the best route so you can combine dirt with expedience.

i've been in such a better mood at work and getting home the day i commute! Its an hour each way vs. 20min in the car, right now I'm targeting once a week. The ride kinda sucks overall, but its becoming "one of my rides" with sections to have fun and a few urban trials. Light rain the last 5 minutes today - the uphill upwind was not fun I missed the normal tailwind, but it gave me some hope after last week!!!

have you noticed your tread getting beat to crap instantaneously in the heat?

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
Nice video. At least you get to hit some "real" dirt on your way to/from work.
Was that the priest bridge? I go over that on my commute.

I heard that the fire was a brush fire somewhere by PIR, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Seemed closer though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for the "day in the Life". You completely show your passion about riding, even going to and fro work! I liked the shot of clothes thrown and the swimming pool. That alone tells me it is really hot, no thermometer needed to say what's it like outside.
I've started carrying my camera around more because just throughout the day I see those little moments that are worth capturing. I just have to be able to remember to take the picture.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bgrafk said:
Nice video. At least you get to hit some "real" dirt on your way to/from work.
Was that the priest bridge? I go over that on my commute.

I heard that the fire was a brush fire somewhere by PIR, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Seemed closer though.
Not Priest... it's the Broadway bridge over I-10. I come up 48th St then cut over to Tempe on Broadway.

So that pool of water is the cemetery just south of Broadway and west of I-10. It cracks me up how they flood it to water it, thus submerging all the graves but the plastic flowers always stand tall.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chalkpaw said:
Thanks for the "day in the Life". You completely show your passion about riding, even going to and fro work! I liked the shot of clothes thrown and the swimming pool. That alone tells me it is really hot, no thermometer needed to say what's it like outside.
I've started carrying my camera around more because just throughout the day I see those little moments that are worth capturing. I just have to be able to remember to take the picture.
Thanks! I was inspired to take the camera yesterday because the day before I had close encounters with a coyote, a roadrunner, and a rattler on the trail portion of my commute. No critters yesterday but it was still a good day.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
nice work! bike commute days are always better. It's extra fun to change up the commute route every now and then to keep it interesting. thanks for sharing.
I never found out what that smoke was last night....

·
Hawes Junkie
141 Posts
I have been inspired (read-hate paying $4.15 a gallon) to start riding to work again and this morning was the first of hopefully many. Def was nice out this morning and the traffic was blessedly light and definitely beats hassling with traffic and knowing that I 'save' $4 each way helps justify the next thing that comes along-I'm thinking a Surly dedicated for the commute should be justifiable after a couple months.

I'm sure they are good looking pics but for some reason my system won't load them.

AZ XC

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AZ XC said:
I have been inspired (read-hate paying $4.15 a gallon) to start riding to work again and this morning was the first of hopefully many. Def was nice out this morning and the traffic was blessedly light and definitely beats hassling with traffic and knowing that I 'save' $4 each way helps justify the next thing that comes along-I'm thinking a Surly dedicated for the commute should be justifiable after a couple months.

I'm sure they are good looking pics but for some reason my system won't load them.

AZ XC
Not sure why you're not getting the YouTube to load. Are you at work? My work bans YouTube. Here's a link to the high res version on my mac gallery page... most folks though have problems loading the video unless you have the latest Microsoft IE. Be patient and it should load eventually: http://gallery.mac.com/kjkingma#100193

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Very nice! My commute is all paved. Straight shot east side to west side on Camelback. I would like to ride to work but to many stop lights and crazy drivers on my route.

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
AZ XC said:

AZ XC
yeah, I just started commuting last week and so far I really enjoy it.
Mine is about 60% canals...so the tires get a little dusting.
Including my weekend mountain biking, 4-5 days on the bike definetly rocks :thumbsup:

·
Hawes Junkie
141 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Not sure why you're not getting the YouTube to load. Are you at work? My work bans YouTube. Here's a link to the high res version on my mac gallery page... most folks though have problems loading the video unless you have the latest Microsoft IE. Be patient and it should load eventually: http://gallery.mac.com/kjkingma#100193
Ya all viral videos sites are blocked here at work--well at least I can still occupy my time on MTBR :D

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
nice vid ms DG!

the strewn articles trail to the pool took me back to the late 80s when i used to commute from honeywell (then garrett) to scottsdale. i would enter thru the garage and leave a similar trail thru the house and out to the pool. thanks for memories long forgotten. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.