Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever shared a fork between different bikes? I have a rigid SS and a Front Suspension gearie. I really like the SS part of the rigid SS, not so much the rigid part. I can't afford a suspension fork at the moment. So here is what I am thinking. I can install the same headset on the SS that is on the gearie. Then I can can swap the fork/wheel/brake from one bike to the other. It doesn't seem like it would cause any problems to do so. Has anyone else ever done this before? Is there anything I need to watch out for when doing this? The only drawbacks I can see is maybe premature wear on the brake cable from switching brake levers more often(BB7's). Maybe some extra headset maintenance from taking it apart more often.

3,617 Posts
ianick said:
Has anyone ever shared a fork between different bikes? I have a rigid SS and a Front Suspension gearie. I really like the SS part of the rigid SS, not so much the rigid part. I can't afford a suspension fork at the moment. So here is what I am thinking. I can install the same headset on the SS that is on the gearie. Then I can can swap the fork/wheel/brake from one bike to the other. It doesn't seem like it would cause any problems to do so. Has anyone else ever done this before? Is there anything I need to watch out for when doing this? The only drawbacks I can see is maybe premature wear on the brake cable from switching brake levers more often(BB7's). Maybe some extra headset maintenance from taking it apart more often.
maybe headtube length?
depends on the frames
so stack height could vary

you never know... if you put that rigid fork on your geared bike....
???

and if you have time off from work, i guess...

you could go places...

my 2 cents

peace...d

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use several different forks on the same bike. They all have the same crown race. Its a quick swap. You can definitely do what you're asking. Headset maintenance won't be any more than normal.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I see no problem with it other than the work to change it out-
I have toyed with having a long travel (150mm) fork on my Lenz behemoth- that I can swap out with a 120mm- you just need the same headset- for me the problem is the hyraulics- I think I'll just leave the brake attached, and have 2 front brakes, one on one fork, one for the other-
I would go for it and let us know how it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts