Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I bought my specialized last year, I "retired" the Svelte Hawaiian, my very nice albeit rode very hard fs mtb. Mr Formica has been after me to sell it ( who'd buy a beat up but nice FS bike anyway? ) But I insisted on keeping it as a loaner. This meant I had to find a place under the deck and not in the garage but OK whatever.

I pulled it out today and threw some flats on it for my good friend who is doing an xterra-ish tri race that has 8 miles of dirt road. She was going to ride one of her kids old huffy-ish bike and I said ABSOLUTELY NOT. She's my size. :D So she walked over this am with her helmet; I changed the pedals, checked everything to be in working order, adjusted the saddle, and off she goes with a smile on her face.

I had warm fuzzies all morning to share my ride with her. Long term loan is a possibility, her hubby mtbs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Aww... good karma points for you!! I think you probably started someone on a new addiction!! I gave one of my first hardtails away to a friend of mine. It was nothing fancy, an entry level bike from a LBS but now she can ride around the neighborhood with her two kids (who we also bought bikes for on their birthdays! They are 2 and 4.)

We love going with people to buy new bikes, encourage people to buy bikes and always go to the LBS to look for "good deals" for friends, whether they are actively looking for a bike or not!!

Hope your warm fuzzies last a whole bike season and I think your good deed will come back to you twofold.

·
"She has the oak"
43 Posts
Fun!! I love sharing bikes! I have converted about 6 co-workers to alternative transportation by bike and it's awesome to see the pounds melting off of them as well as their confidence boosting. I wish there was an organized bike share day where you could try out everyone's mountain bikes. I have been going back and forth on which to choose without the resources to demo bikes anywhere. I have been riding two mtbs which are not built for the kind of riding that I have been doing and it's discouraging and mentally exhausting. If I wasn't getting so frustrated with myself pedaling I could be using that energy towards pedaling harder to catch up with my bf instead of jumping off the bike and running up hill with it! =)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I have to experience this vicariously through you guys- have yet to lend out a bike to somebody willing to ride with me. Bah!

It's hard enough convincing people who *have* bikes to ride with me. :prft:

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
I have the same sort of deal with my old single speed. It lives at my house, but one of my friends takes out it so it doesn't get lonely. For some reason I just can't part with it. My old Glitter bike will be spiffed up soon, my daughter will breath new life into it. Some bikes just have to kept...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.