Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Well, I retired a couple of weeks ago, that was pretty good. Yesterday I rode a localish trail that I hadn't in 2-3 years because it was always just too crowded and crazy on the weekends. I saw two other riders, a handful of walkers and miles and miles of woods and solitude. So that trail is back in my rotation!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Riding this past Sunday and passed a couple of hikers with their daughter. She had to be around 6. As I was passing them, the daughter shouted "you're soo cool" and gave me a thumbs up.

Totally made me smile.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Riding this past Sunday and passed a couple of hikers with their daughter. She had to be around 6. As I was passing them, the daughter shouted "you're soo cool" and gave me a thumbs up.

Totally made me smile.
Very cool and it reminds me of something at my last ride.
I approach a couple with two young kids walking.
A boy and a girl and the girl is kinda hiding behind her mum and while I pass them I give them a friendly hello and wave while smiling.
The girls face lights up and she smiles and waves back while I hear her mother saying to her see they are friendly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very cool and it reminds me of something at my last ride.
I approach a couple with two young kids walking.
A boy and a girl and the girl is kinda hiding behind her mum and while I pass them I give them a friendly hello and wave while smiling.
The girls face lights up and she smiles and waves back while I hear her mother saying to her see they are friendly.
I always try and be friendly and smile at everyone on the trail.

·
No known cure
4,480 Posts
I hit a tree with my knee Monday afternoon and my knee swelled to five times it's size and I couldn't walk later on in the evening. I waited until yesterday to go to the ER so calcification could set in so it would be easier to tell if the patella was fractured. It turned out to be a severe contusion and I only needed 32cc's of fluid drained. I still can't walk without crutches but thankfully, no surgery.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I hit a tree with my knee Monday afternoon and my knee swelled to five times it's size and I couldn't walk later on in the evening. I waited until yesterday to go to the ER so calcification could set in so it would be easier to tell if the patella was fractured. It turned out to be a severe contusion and I only needed 32cc's of fluid drained. I still can't walk without crutches but thankfully, no surgery.
Good to hear and I hope you heal up fast.

·
No known cure
4,480 Posts
Good to hear and I hope you heal up fast.
Thanks. It hurts like a mother and have been through a ton of ice. I'm entered in a DH race at the end of October and am determined to race, even if I have to roll the course.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,269 Posts
Just this morning I had a moment to contemplate my current existence and decided I should count my blessings.

Just got back from a GREAT 4-day weekend of riding the Michaux SF in PA with a very solid crew. I am fortunate to know them, esp the guy who organizes it.
I rode 1 especially hairy feature, and did not end up in the hospital (Glory Hole, for the locals).
Great weather.
I felt great.
I broke a pedal off and did not die or even injure myself. (!!!!!)
I drove the 5 hrs each way safely, despite some turnpike insanity.
Even though we cut the trip short by 1 day, I didn't miss any riding - providing me 1 day off to clear my chores for the rest of the week.
Slipped off a wet garden timber when I got home and didn't fall and didn't sprain/strain/break/dislocate anything.

-F

·
Registered
618 Posts

Totally made me smile.
A couple of months ago was grinding up a steep climb I've done hundreds of times, but it hurts every time. A girl that looked to be around 10 was hiking with her family. As I went by, she said "Wow you're tough." Made this old guy's day.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I got news today that nine needle biopsy in my thyroid were negative for cancer

that's awesome.

any and every day that I get out for a ride is awesome as the way I see it there are "x" amounts of rides till I will not be able to ride any more hopefully that day is far away and the reason I try to embrace each and every ride.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Me and two riding mates made a small trip to race an enduro last weekend. I was one of the 5 or 6 people riding a hardtail, only one in my age category (39-47, I'm 41) the rest of the ht's were U21.

Stages were challenging but fun, very rewarding to ride. Stages 1-3 really benefited from having rear suspension, 4 & 5 were more ht friendly. A few scary sections, including a road gap with an ackward approach and equally sketchy exit (above my paygrade regardess of bike). The rest of the race was within my skill range but I would have to do my best in order to push hard and avoid crashing. Was pretty sure that I would finish close to last after practice, but I still had a great time riding the whole day.

Sunday and time to race! Temp was pretty high and the liason climbs were brutal in the heat. The trails were amazing though and riding them focused in race pace was very different than the previous day. So much fun! Generally I rode well, but still made a couple of mistakes that cost some time. I beat all my previous times by 3-49secs and ended up 11/24 in my category and 56/110 overall. Not good enough to brag about, but certainly not bad for a ht.

This was my third race, looking forward to more!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Concurred a 5-6 foot drop I've been eyeing up for a while.

Three cracks at it... funnily enough, first crack was probably the cleanest.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

41 - 58 of 58 Posts