Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
By proxy... I submitted my daughter's bike I recently wrapped to GCN's Bike Vault. I didn't tell her as I feared there was little to no chance as her bike cost less than a car, and the bike vault seems only for big money bikes. I watched the GNC tech show this week. I had forgotten about submitting it through their app. The apps users had not giving it many "Super Nice" and it was below the 50% mark, so I figured it wouldn't even surface on the show.

I was wrong. I was half watching when I heard my user name "...No Can Surf...". The hosts Alex and Ollie gave the bike a "Super Nice" and rang the bell, entering the bike into the bike vault! I pulled my daughter away from her iPad, and made her watch. She gave me an eye roll, but watched the replay like I asked. She exploded with joy when she saw her bike. I had to get her a link to the video she would text all her friends with her good news. She even forced me ex, her mother watch the video.

The video - YouTube: The bike earns it Super Nice at 22:09.

I'm happy my daughter is happy. It's been a rough year for us, but she done well in school and has learned to ride a bike. I wish I could stay home longer this summer to be with her, but work starts back up for me in a month.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Hey there,

seems to me that almost every poll etc. is just about negative things so why do not share a or more positive things that happened on your last ride or in general.

Just came back from a gravel ride, rains a lot so trails where out of question.
Rode with GF, ex and her new boyfriend and we had a jolly good time, got rained on, got muddy, saw a lot of friendly faces and had a blast.
Now I am sitting here cooling down with a beer .
Life is good! 🍻
Our five year old grand daughter spent the night with us and this morning I'm meeting her father (my son) for an early morning ride. That's all good. The sun is shinning which is even better.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
The same except 1949.
Made sometimes in the 60’s here.

Lot of good stories!

I remembered another one from a week ago.
GF coming back from a ride, quick stop at the grocery store.
She stays and guards the bike and I run in.
My riding pants only have one pocket and I have a plus size phone, bunch of keys and a wallet that would be too thick for even George Constanza so you might see where this is going.
In and out in no time next obstacle the gas station on the same premises.
Ready to fuel up, reaching for my wallet nothing , quick check in the car and the misses did not see it either.
Okay, no worries, most likely cashier has it so I run back but the cashier says no wallet here.
Oaky, no worries, most likely in one of the bags in the truck, off running back I go.
In the back of my head the pre counseling me is rearing its ugly head.
Okay, no worries, I check where I parked while running back but no wallet in sight.
Okay, no worries I tell myself while going through the first bag, nothing.
The grumpy old me in the back of my head is disagreeing with my no worries approach.
Okay, no worries I tell myself while going through the second bag, nothing again.
The grumpier old me in the back of my head is starting to throw pretty explicit 4 words around.
Okay, no worries approach while going through the third bag is not working anymore and I feel me head getting warm and the grumpy old me is moving on into my forehead.
Then I noticed that a pretty slick spotless black truck pulled up right next to me.
I look up and a very well groomed silver haired gentleman looks me right in the eyes and says “Did you just lost your wallet?” I said yes and he said I thought so you look like the guy on the drivers license.
Which is very odd because I had a long beard in that picture which is also pretty very old.
Anyway, I thanked him very much while he told me that he gave it to the store manager while I continued to thank him I noticed that pre counseling me in my head left the building.
Back to the store I kinda jog, inside the store I run pass the cashier again on my way to the store manager and she kinda looks at me like this is getting creepy which is understandable because my face must have been pretty red and my whole appearance was in a bit of a disarray by now.
Found the store manager and with a big smile he gave me my wallet back.

Restored a sliver of faith in humanity again.😉🍻

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Made sometimes in the 60’s here.

Lot of good stories!

I remembered another one from a week ago.
GF coming back from a ride, quick stop at the grocery store.
She stays and guards the bike and I run in.
My riding pants only have one pocket and I have a plus size phone, bunch of keys and a wallet that would be too thick for even George Constanza so you might see where this is going.
In and out in no time next obstacle the gas station on the same premises.
Ready to fuel up, reaching for my wallet nothing , quick check in the car and the misses did not see it either.
Okay, no worries, most likely cashier has it so I run back but the cashier says no wallet here.
Oaky, no worries, most likely in one of the bags in the truck, off running back I go.
In the back of my head the pre counseling me is rearing its ugly head.
Okay, no worries, I check where I parked while running back but no wallet in sight.
Okay, no worries I tell myself while going through the first bag, nothing.
The grumpy old me in the back of my head is disagreeing with my no worries approach.
Okay, no worries I tell myself while going through the second bag, nothing again.
The grumpier old me in the back of my head is starting to throw pretty explicit 4 words around.
Okay, no worries approach while going through the third bag is not working anymore and I feel me head getting warm and the grumpy old me is moving on into my forehead.
Then I noticed that a pretty slick spotless black truck pulled up right next to me.
I look up and a very well groomed silver haired gentleman looks me right in the eyes and says “Did you just lost your wallet?” I said yes and said I thought so you look like the guy on the drivers license.
Which is very odd because I had a long beard in that picture which is also pretty very old.
Anyway, I thanked him very much while he told me that he gave it to the store manager while I continued to thank him I noticed that pre counseling me in my head left the building.
Back to the store I kinda jog, inside the store I run pass the cashier again on my way to the store manager and she kinda looks at me like this is getting creepy which is understandable because my face must have been pretty red and my whole appearance was in a bit of a disarray by now.
Found the store manager and with a big smile he gave me my wallet back.

Restored a sliver of faith in humanity again.😉🍻
Great story. Losing your wallet is such a pain. I did once and never want to repeat that. Mine contained, and still contains, an Army ID making the lose a federal case.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,269 Posts
Turned a 30 mile fatbike ride into a 38 mile ride...and this time I felt awesome even at the end. Even SS'd the last climb with a more fit rider chasing me, and when I let him pass, we finished the trail together. It was really fun!

-F

·
No known cure
4,480 Posts
The fork I ordered for my SS is about to be built. I'm a troglodyte so it has 9mm drop outs and canti bosses...and is 26"🙃. I also traded my medical sales career into a bartending gig at the saloon. More free time and and the scenery is much nicer with way more free time. Not sure which will have more headaches though.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did happen to a friend.
Guy one lives in an upscale part of town and keeps his fancy bike secured to his car.
Comes out one day and lock is cut and bike is gone.
Next day guy two who knows guy one who works with home less people noticed a guy with a bike that is way way beyond his financial status in society and kinda sees what type of bike that is even it is covered in duct etc. etc..
Next day guy two goes on a ride with guy three who also knows guy one.
Guys three says do know that guys one bike was stolen?
Guys two brain put two and two together.
Next day guys one bike gets back to guy one.

A edited for a more dramatic effect but that is basically what went down.

Besides I that I had another awesome ride today.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I cleaned a scary root chute with a 90 degree corner at the bottom yesterday that has sent me over the bars on three separate occasions. Felt amazing, because I’ve been gun-shy about it since the last OTB a few months ago, and have been walking it.

I then climbed up to another even gnarlier trail and rode that just as clean. I don’t usually crash on that trail but there’s a section that’s very intense — three very steep, janky rock rolls in a row and each one is bigger and steeper than the last. The second one is off camber and only about 1 out of 6 times do I manage to stay high on it and line up perfectly for the big roll right after it.

Last night I did everything perfectly and it felt amazing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well the other day while riding I noticed a dog that usually barks at me was looking opposite me and barking. When I came back around he was still looking the same way and barking. Something looked off, so I took a closer look and the dog was stuck between his chain door and fence, couldn't back out and couldn't squeeze through. I yelled to a guy I saw working his yard and asked if it was his dog. It was. He came right over, thanked me, and took care of the dog. Later on, I rode by the same spot and the dog was chilling on his chair and the gap in the door was blocked off. It was a good thing I experienced while riding so I figured I'd share it.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
^A clueless dog owner within earshot of its distressed barking.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,880 Posts
found out I can microwave peanuts and put just enough of a brown on them so they all taste like those random burnt ones which I actually prefer. and the whole house smells like cookies afterward too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
^A clueless dog owner within earshot of its distressed barking.
Right, that’s the part that frustrated me lol, the dog was panting, too. That dog isn’t one that just barks all the time either. To the owners credit he looked dismayed and hurried when he saw his dog like that. Guess he was just clueless lol

·
9 lives
16,508 Posts
We moved to a new town. My hubby and I went for a ride on the weekend to explore the area...we rode to a forested area and discovered a trail network! We have a new playground for riding ( single track, 1km from the new house, nice elevation that's rideable up and down etc :)) !

Plant Plant community People in nature Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Tire Bicycle Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle helmet

Bicycle Plant Land vehicle Tire Bicycle wheel

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,074 Posts
Getting my pedaling mojo back after a couple of stoopid crashes in the past 12 months that kept me out of commission for a while. Had a great ride with the missus on Monday too!

Reactions: chazpat and acer66
21 - 40 of 58 Posts