Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at my LBS, and the shop mechanic was saying the roller bearings used in Shamino hubs tend to take side load stress better than cartridge bearings used in more expensive hubs.

What are your thoughts on this???

Ming

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Your LBS is 100% correct.
They do take side loads better and therefore will last longer if serviced regularly ie every 6 months.
If fact they're also very well sealed. recently had mine (XTR) opened after 2 yrs of abuse, probably done about 7000km on them already and the grease was still clean. The Mechanic just closed them right up again and said "See you in 6 months"

Absolutely the best hubs are cup and cone, just ask Shimano & Campagnolo.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,556 Posts
macming said:
I was just at my LBS, and the shop mechanic was saying the roller bearings used in Shamino hubs tend to take side load stress better than cartridge bearings used in more expensive hubs.

Ming
While that is probably correct, I've found with Shimano hubs that over time the cup and cones the bearings ride in get pitted and scored. In the case of the cups this means you need to replace the whole hub which means a wheel rebuild. Since I hate rebuilding wheels I'll stick with my SRAM hubs which use easily replaced, inexpensive, 6000 series cartridge bearings.

Karl

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah man,

Brad said:
Your LBS is 100% correct.
They do take side loads better and therefore will last longer if serviced regularly ie every 6 months.
If fact they're also very well sealed. recently had mine (XTR) opened after 2 yrs of abuse, probably done about 7000km on them already and the grease was still clean. The Mechanic just closed them right up again and said "See you in 6 months"

Absolutely the best hubs are cup and cone, just ask Shimano & Campagnolo.
that's why they still make it that way.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
macming said:

Ming
Ball bearings, not roller bearings.

Yup, cup and cone loose ball bearings can be very good - if you take care of them.

I like cartridge bearings for the ease of replacement and the fact that a trashed bearing does not mean a trashed hub.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
yup... what the others said.

Or you can get an angular bearing in the same size... but it would be an act of god find one. There are some, but I ignore if someone had explored the use of a different bearing for hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.