Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building up a new ride and purchased a XT crankset only to fine that you need a special Shimano tool (TL-FC18) to install the crank. A TL-FC18 is an inexpensive plastic spline wrench that isn't readily available and IMO should be included with the crankset. I contacted Shimano Customer Service with my complaint and they told me that I needed to order this tool through a local dealer.

Bad form.

Here's the ugly part of the issue, this special tool sell for $1 to 3 dollars. What does it cost Shimano to make? Maybe 5 or 10 cent. Luckly I contacted Speedgoat, where I pruchased my build kit, and they agreed to supply me with a TL-FC18 free of charge. They sell the tool for $1.08.

An example of how it should be done is the Mavic wheelset that I purchased years ago which came with a special spoke and cone wrench. Seems like Shimano could include a TL-FC18 when the sell a XT Crankset. Shimano needs to rethink its customer service model.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Dude that's std Shimano practice that system has been around at least since 2003

With the old system square or octalink ya needed a special tool BBT 2 for Oct if mem serves which was a total pain in the arse and ten time more expensive for BBs and the tools.

Everyone should have an external BB tool that plastic thig can be undone by hand if you loosen the pinch bolts first, its only to pul the crank onto the spline before torquing up.

RF ya use a 8mm allen but still need a BB tool for the bottom brackets least they 3 times less in cost to internal BBs and easy to service :thumbsup:

I use most things non Shimnao where they std up relibility wise.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I can understand the frustration - they have got a lot better than the octalink days, but I agree that including the tool would be much more efficient for less $$, as Trailadvent mentioned can usually be done by hand, and if need be, sometimes you can fit a tool in it to loosen it up then do the rest by hand.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Take a pair of needle nose pliers and open them up inside the spline and tighten it that way. You won't get much torque on it. You shouldn't have much anyway. ttyl, Fahn

·
Registered
227 Posts
My XTR crankset came with the Removal tool. I was surprised to see that.

But I am not sure what you are complaining about. Did you expect it to come with the tool to install the bottom bracket too?

·
Registered
227 Posts
More like a 20cent piece of cast (in the case of a socket) or stamped (in the case of a wrench) metal.

The point is that you can't expect parts to come with tools. Were you this disappointed after buying a chain to find out it didn't come with a chain breaker? That your cassette didn't come with a chainwhip and removal tool? That your brakes didn't come with a bleed kit?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
headstrong356 said:
Umm new bb wrenchs come with one built in...
Yep, almost all external bb tools has the little plastic star wrench thing built it. Others have it on the other side of the socket, if it is that type. What are you using to install the BB? The Park tool BB30-t or whatever it is has it, so does IceToolz BB socket.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
When Shimano first started selling the external BB cranks, they used to include the BB wrench and the plastic lockring tool. Over the last couple of years, they seem to have stopped that practice. We used to have dozens of those narrow steel BB wrenches at the shop were customers did want them. Seemed like every bike we recieved with these cranks came with the tools.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
A dime also fits in there really well. This is great to remember if it comes loose on the trail. Finding a rock or stick to do the job is really tough .... believe me!

·
Registered
156 Posts
IMO, it's not whining. Shimano does have this idiotic thing of small tools excluded from expensive stuff like a crank. Making your life harder and less likely to buy Shimano next time since you don't know what hassle waits for you. I had to make eights in the air to get stupid, very expensive, centerlock to 6 bolt adapters by shimano to fit my XT wheels...probably get Mavic next time.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
including the tool would be much more efficient for less $$,
So now I'd have three sets of those tools...
Show me a square taper BB/Crank, cassette, or headset that comes with the tools needed for installation and uninstallation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.