Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

When should GITA take place

• June 3rd - 5th during the Chile Challenge (Taos / AF locale)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • July 9th - 10th during Worlds (Taos / AF locale)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • August 12th - 14th during the Los Alamos FTF (LA Locale)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sept. 29 - Oct. 2 (early fall / leaves changing) (Taos / AF / or SF locale)

Votes: 11 73.3%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think it's too early to at least kick around some dates? Labor day weekend is pre-leaves turning, but really nice (5th of Sept. this year, on a monday as usual) weather wise, but also may be chaotic travel-wise.

Last weekend in Sept/first in Oct. is a good one too - and will have tree colors starting, and good weather.

I know Dr. F is still skiing, but I'd be happy to start throwing a webpage together when we can figure out the dates! My guess is the earlier we set the dates the more folks can plan to come from further away...

Lastly, any major suggestions for changing/adjusting rides? Personally, I thought the schedule worked out well last year, as far as days/rides went. I may be inclined to boost the "A" rides to wicked-epic status (Timo...?) like the 'double boundary' in Taos/AF and so on.

The pre-pre ride on Thursday was cool out at Otero/Cedro (?), Friday Winsor/Santa Fe (maybe include the descent of REM this time...?), Los Alamos on Saturday, SBT Sunday. I think that's what we did. Or did it all start on Wednesday? Ack. So much riding.....

Plan B is to chuck the whole itinerary out the door and brainstorm new ideas...

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
glenzx said:
I may be inclined to boost the "A" rides to wicked-epic status (Timo...?) like the 'double boundary' in Taos/AF and so on. .
yeah baby....

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sportsman said:
yeah baby....
LOL, I figured you'd be one of 3-4 "takers"! Matt, Jeni, You, Me, are 100% "a go", who else? Or should we have our own mini FYAITA (flog yer a33 in the aspens)?

JK

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey guys..........I olnly joined up for the ride in LA last year and it did not turn out to be what I had hoped for. Sure the stuff around town was fun but I know there has to be some far more fun way out back of beyond stuff to do up there. In years before the fire, I rode off Guaje ridge to Guaje Canyon (I thinkI) and that was pretty cool but there just has to be more. I would vote for riding more "out there" stuff. It doesn't have to be huge like and out and back on SBT - just good quality. No riding through peoples back yards this time eh.

As for SBT its been done and done again. What about Red River or the Pecos. I hear there are good epics in both of those places.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Labor Day Scheduling

Just a quick heads up since the notion of Labor Day came up.

There is rumbling discussion about rescheduling the Las Cruces NMORS race to Labor Day weekend from its current Sept. 24 date. More info to follow soon.

.d.

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
not that I feel it should affect others' plans, but I expect to be riding in crested butte over labor day

scott

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LCdaveH said:
Just a quick heads up since the notion of Labor Day came up.

There is rumbling discussion about rescheduling the Las Cruces NMORS race to Labor Day weekend from its current Sept. 24 date. More info to follow soon.

.d.
Thanks for the heads up Dave - but that would make the end of the summer awfully condensed, as Punishment and Signal Peak are close together right before labor day! And of course it can't conflict with Mammoth Nationals.... ack. Not many weekends left in Sept.!

Let's say Labor Day is officially nixed. We need Scott, dangit!

XTR - I agree about the "out there" ride in LA, but the SBT ride is important as the idea is to host out of towners who likely have not ridden trails like SBT.... This summer I hope to be part of getting Guaje Ridge re-rideable. It's been badly eroded, and worse - overgrown to jungle-like density! I think the Punishment Race course (+/-) is an excellent epic worthy of the gathering, but that's me ;-)

·
Registered
439 Posts
where is all the FR/DH in NM?

When and where are all the FR/DH trails at?
The snow is melting in Flag....some trails are ridable right now.... :D

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perropirana said:
Angel Fire and at Pajarito - both still socked in with a good amount of snow...

·
rohloff rich
397 Posts
I'm going to be gone the first half of September, so I would prefer the end of September/October, but as Scott said, don't schedule the whole thing just so it fits my schedule.

There's a plan for a Santa Fe to Las Vegas two-day ride sometime in the second half of September that maybe could be integrated with GITA (maybe only the first half). There needs to be some scouting of the route before taking out of towners up there. I would agree with XTRKona that doing some more far-out rides in Los Alamos would be more attractive. I wonder how many out-of-towners would really be willing to go on one of Timo's epics as an A+ ride. I'd be up for it along with Scott, Glen, Matt and Jeni, but isn't the point of a gathering to get to ride with new people from elsewhere? I'm not saying not to schedule it, but maybe be flexible in altering the route so that it appeals to more people. The last thing is that this year we need to go from Tesuque to the radio towers on the Winsor Trail day, weather-dependent of course.

Rich

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
glenzx said:
Thanks for the heads up Dave - but that would make the end of the summer awfully condensed, as Punishment and Signal Peak are close together right before labor day! And of course it can't conflict with Mammoth Nationals.... ack. Not many weekends left in Sept.!
Mamoth Nationals being the w/e of Sept 15-18. Labor day w/e (Sept. 4-5) is 2 weeks after Silver City on Sept 20, which is 1 week after Los Alamos on Aug 13.

It may not happen, but there may be an effort for the LC race to be the NORBA state championship that would then serve as a qualifier for nationals. Any thoughts on that?

Ride More, Work Less !

.d.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LCdaveH said:
Mamoth Nationals being the w/e of Sept 15-18. Labor day w/e (Sept. 4-5) is 2 weeks after Silver City on Sept 20, which is 1 week after Los Alamos on Aug 13.

It may not happen, but there may be an effort for the LC race to be the NORBA state championship that would then serve as a qualifier for nationals. Any thoughts on that?

Ride More, Work Less !

.d.
I don't know the course at all, heard it was fast though. I really, really, really liked the Signal Peak race (and love the Punishment) and assumed it'd be the qualifier again. If the Tortugan venue is equal to or "better" (more challenging & good variety to test real mtbike skills and endurance!) than those two, than sure! Except I'll have to change my race priorities, boohoo!

Labor day would be a rough race weekend, travel wise and raceing/abuse wise; 3 hard races in 4 weeks? Ouch! And I'm targeting Mammoth as my A++ goal/priority race this whole season.... and Punishment as an A race. That'd be 4 hard races in 6 weeks for me, but I'm a lowly spohmore expert..... I'm sure there are lot's of good reasons to rearrange the schedule. We'll have to talk about NEXT season, as it'd be far less brutal to spread the calendar out more evnly from spring (Coyote) to Fall (RAR). The summer is strangely quiet locally....

*whew*

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
rs3o said:
I'm going to be gone the first half of September, so I would prefer the end of September/October, but as Scott said, don't schedule the whole thing just so it fits my schedule.

There's a plan for a Santa Fe to Las Vegas two-day ride sometime in the second half of September that maybe could be integrated with GITA (maybe only the first half). There needs to be some scouting of the route before taking out of towners up there. I would agree with XTRKona that doing some more far-out rides in Los Alamos would be more attractive. I wonder how many out-of-towners would really be willing to go on one of Timo's epics as an A+ ride. I'd be up for it along with Scott, Glen, Matt and Jeni, but isn't the point of a gathering to get to ride with new people from elsewhere? I'm not saying not to schedule it, but maybe be flexible in altering the route so that it appeals to more people. The last thing is that this year we need to go from Tesuque to the radio towers on the Winsor Trail day, weather-dependent of course.

Rich
I'm with him!

How about the second weekend in October? Could that excellent ride be pushed back to then, or is it tempting fate too much weather-wise? And dangit, Radio Towers or bust!

Otherwise, the weekend after Mammoth would be OK, as long as Dana and I are back from the road by then! :)

edit: I had a thought - the radio tower / winsor ride could include a strategically placed vehicle at AV parking area stocked with food, water/gatorade and some extra clothing.... it'd make for a good break, could grab the warmer gear for the higher part of the ride & ensuing descent... Scott's rain shell saved my weak, cold, lame a33 last fall on the descent!

edit II: That weekend after Mammoth may be perfect, come to think of it. Heck, if it works for everyone else - do the Mammoth weekend then.

·
Basura Blanca
1,791 Posts
Outa the box suggestion

Any merit to scheduling in conjunction with the July World Cup weekend at Angel Fire? I have no strong feelings about schedule, itinerary or venue; just tossing out another idea.
- Joe

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NuMexJoe said:
Any merit to scheduling in conjunction with the July World Cup weekend at Angel Fire? I have no strong feelings about schedule, itinerary or venue; just tossing out another idea.
- Joe
Hmmm.... that's a whole other idea, could be cool. I suppose monsoon season is hit-or-miss enough that it might be OK mid-summer, especially with a huge event happening at AF. Makes lodging/camping more of an issues I suppose. So many trails, events, and so much fun, to have!

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
perropirana said:
look for Primus in the DH forum. He has a link to a video that he and some other locals shot in the Nambe. He could probably help hook you up with some FR & hucking..

scott

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
glenzx said:
If the Tortugan venue is equal to or "better" (more challenging & good variety to test real mtbike skills and endurance!) than those two, than sure!

We'll have to talk about NEXT season, as it'd be far less brutal to spread the calendar out more evnly from spring (Coyote) to Fall (RAR). The summer is strangely quiet locally....

*whew*
In addition to changing the LC date, there's probably a course change as well - to the newly minted and legal BLM trail network in the Dona Ana mountains north of Cruces. Not as brutal as Signal or Los Alamos. Gradual climbs and single track rollers. But good distance and some techy stuff. Plus more oxygen in the bloodstream.

We do hope to spread things out better next season. 'tis a balance of many factors. Ultimately the promoters determine when they want to schedule their events.

Suggestions (and even criticisms) always welcome.

·
Banned
340 Posts
My $.02

- Format. Consider a complete revamping of GITA. Use the summer to scout out as many new/old trails as possible to add variety to the event. There are a lot of good trails in Northern NM that are rarely ridden and nearly unknown. I'm thinking my main goal this season will be to scout out forgotten / ignored trails in NM.

- Location. Can GITA be based from one central location? It seems that the format of riding one trail each in Abq / S.Fe / Taos and Angel Fire made for a lot of driving and not much hanging out and socializing. Logistically, the event would be much simpler if there was one camping/staging area.

- Dates. Having GITA in October (based on the questions that I answered) limited participation. The Fall date with people in school, no lift service at A.F., the threat of cold weather, etc. dampened much of the enthusiasm. Moving GITA back to the summer may work better with people's schedules.

- A, B, C rides. I'm all for epic rides (once I can get back into shape, anyway) but don't forget the intermediates, beginners and significant others who can be challenged by shorter rides.

- Event "Conflict" Latching on to an existing event (i.e. Chile Challenge, L.A. Fat Tire Festival, etc.) could be a good way to avoid conflict by incorporating the other event. Lots of MTBR folks head up for the Fruita Fat Tire Festival and participate in some events and do other "MTBR only" stuff as well.

Well, that's a little more than $.02 so there you go.

FWIW,
Dr.F.

P.S. The ski season was/is incredible!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He's ALIIIIIIVVVVVEE!!!!

Dr.Faustus said:
My $.02

- Format. Consider a complete revamping of GITA. Use the summer to scout out as many new/old trails as possible to add variety to the event. There are a lot of good trails in Northern NM that are rarely ridden and nearly unknown. I'm thinking my main goal this season will be to scout out forgotten / ignored trails in NM.

- Location. Can GITA be based from one central location? It seems that the format of riding one trail each in Abq / S.Fe / Taos and Angel Fire made for a lot of driving and not much hanging out and socializing. Logistically, the event would be much simpler if there was one camping/staging area.

- Dates. Having GITA in October (based on the questions that I answered) limited participation. The Fall date with people in school, no lift service at A.F., the threat of cold weather, etc. dampened much of the enthusiasm. Moving GITA back to the summer may work better with people's schedules.

- A, B, C rides. I'm all for epic rides (once I can get back into shape, anyway) but don't forget the intermediates, beginners and significant others who can be challenged by shorter rides.

- Event "Conflict" Latching on to an existing event (i.e. Chile Challenge, L.A. Fat Tire Festival, etc.) could be a good way to avoid conflict by incorporating the other event. Lots of MTBR folks head up for the Fruita Fat Tire Festival and participate in some events and do other "MTBR only" stuff as well.

Well, that's a little more than $.02 so there you go.

FWIW,
Dr.F.

P.S. The ski season was/is incredible!
I was sort of thinking the same thing Tim.... The worlds race at AF may be a good weekend. I like basing the whole she-bang out of one, maybe two spots also. If we get the 2-day ~ overnight trip planning nailed & approved - it'd make for a santa fe gathering. Not sure how the other folks feel about that.....

AF / Taos is great of course. Those are the 2 front runners IMO. With both the Chile Challenge and the Worlds race, we have 2 weekends possible to base it out of AF/Taos.

Summer.... some day! ;-)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Better hurry....

If we go with a summer event, we'd better get a date nailed ASAP. The MSC Chile Challenge weekend (DH/4X/XC) is FAST approaching - June 4th and 5th.

Worlds is July 9th - 10th.

Or stick to a later (sept/oct) date.....

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts