Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road out to shafter to start a long ride on Saturday and found out it was closed for culvert repair. Sign said it was closed through 10/15 and there didn't appear to be a good way past the construction.

The sign said something about a way around via Peter's dam. I ended up riding up to Kent lake on my way to San Geronimo ridge, but couldn't see if there was another way around. Anyone know if it is possible to get to shafter from the other side of the creek near the dam somewhere?

-slide

Sent from my Inspire 4G running CM7 using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done it in quite some time, but i am pretty sure that you can walk across the mouth of the spillway.

Looks like mmwd has a page for the repair info, with a map, as well.
MMWD: News Releases

Sounds like they are supposed to be done next week.
Looks like a pretty beig mess to be done with in a week though...
Nice, thanks! Not sure how I didn't find that when googling, but that's exactly what I was looking for. That road on the either side of the creek isn't on my maps. The water level is low enough now to get across where that page indicates so should be good to go that way.

-slide

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Thanks for posting this guys. It is very much appreciated!

I was going to go ride (who am I kidding, I was going to push my bike) up Shafter and ride down Bolinas Ridge on Thursday. I was going to be in Marin tagging along with my wife when she is on a business trip. She suggested I take a day off from work and ride while she is busy working. I know I would have gotten to that construction site and would have been pretty upset, and also would not have thought about riding up to the dam to go around.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm not 100% sure that the spill-way is passable. Well maybe passable if you don't mind getting a little wet. I remember leading morganfletcher across the spillway a few months ago and it was chamois deep... I just took my shoes and socks off and carried my bike across, then I proceeded to cramp up, temperature shock?.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't actually do it myself, but it would have been passable on Saturday. There was no water flowing through the spillway and there was a guy walking around with a dog where the spillway would flow through. Could be muddy, but didn't look like they were mucking around. Not sure where the road picks up on the other side, couldn't see it from where I was (had already made up my mind on a different route.)

-slide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.