Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the great facets of mountain biking is the ability to explore. Being in the foothills, provides a lot of opportunities to uncover leftovers from our gold rush past. I've come across a lot of holes, tailings, and shafts over the years, but they are typically just shadows of the past. Shafts in particular, are typically boarded up, caved in, or only a couple of feet deep. The one I got to explore last night during a night ride was quite the surprise. It was hundreds of feet deep with multiple passageways.

Attachments

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
We use to do that a lot when I was a kid. My dad would take us up exploring practicallyevery weekend looking for old gold mines using the California Book of Mines as a guide. Spent a lot of time under ground and saw some pretty cool stuff. Pulled a lot of track and pipe as well for recycle value. Hard work.

Watch out for drop shafts. :eek:

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
Wow! I'm surprised it's not all boarded up with danger signs everywhere, or made into a park or tourist attraction.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Looks intriguing. Buddies and I head into Death Valley and surroundings on a regular basis. We avoid bringing our bike because so much is designated as "Wilderness" area. Yet, we have never seen a horse or a hiker in many of the back country areas.

I don't advocate building new trail systems everywhere, but bikes really should be allowed to explore areas foot and horse once did, especially in the desert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.