Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
There was gummed up dirt in the snanchion seals. That screams used to me.
Yes
to me also
but could be a test ride
just sad if a dealer is selling a really used product as new

and really used products have no warranty
plus even worse; changes product liability matrix which is something few seem to think about ( especially those that buy direct from China CF stuff)

I just hope it’s a misunderstanding

·
change is good
3,113 Posts
I would return the fork and get my money back. Whether you want to drop their name in the forum is up to you. These are hard times and I’ve always been hesitant to do that.

Unfortunately finding a good LBS can be hard to find. At this point in my life I don’t like working on my bike. Fortunately I have a good one now. ALWAYS double check work if possible regardless how good the shop is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,104 Posts
Sometimes used is better than new.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
It's got some dirt on it, is that a good thing?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
All this over spelling a work correctly. I’d hate to see what would have happened if it was mis-spelled.

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,104 Posts
All this over spelling a work correctly. I’d hate to see what would have happened if it was mis-spelled.
Replied just to keep that post in amber.

Reactions: acer66

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would say F their $100 and F that shop. I’d get full refund. And rather to pay even more elsewhere than let them make money on me. Ever!
4 year old fork for the price of new? You could buy used fork online for way less. And yeah. Work8ng on bikes is not heard. Do it yourself

·
CEO Product Failure
1,561 Posts
To the OP, I just had a similar experience with my LBS. In my mind, my LBS handled the situation exactly as it should have:

I wanted a 155mm BG Specialized Saddle for a new bike on order. The bike is not due in until April/May (2021) due to life and I'm okay with this. I called the shop telling them the make & model of the saddle I want. MSRP on this is particular saddle is $200+; I've this exact saddle on 3 other bikes--the price is as it should be. The LBS confirmed they could get this saddle and they had a "take off" of the exact same saddle immediately available for $90. It was used by the previous owner for less than a week. Had minor scuffs on the rails from the previous installation. I figured, I'm fine with saving $100+ for a few scratches and knowing someone else had sat on the saddle for a few miles. I went ahead an purchased the used, "take off".

Honest and clear communication will always win.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
After last week's ordeal I'm pleased to say that this issue has been resolved, by no less than the LBS in question. I came home today with a brand spanking new fork installed, a 2020 Recon Silver RL that I originally wanted.

I had already made plans to get a refund and order the fork elsewhere when the LBS contacted me earlier this week saying they're able to source a new one. I was honestly surprised as it was only a couple days after the incident but I gave them another shot and said let's do it. I brought my bike in yesterday and asked to see the new fork - the box is clean with a 12/2020 manufacturer date and he hands me the fork after removing its plastic cover. At this point I'm relieved, excited, and thankful at the same time.

In my mind I'm thinking a little politeness goes a long way. When I last spoke to the shop explaining my frustration on the 2016 fork I wasn't rude in any way and we had a civil conversation ending in him putting my name down for a new one. I was skeptical though as after the call I thought there's no way this is going to happen so you can imagine my surprise at how this all turned out.

Once again I want to thank everyone for your comments and advice. Hearing your different perspectives and experiences has helped me along the way. I do agree that honesty and communication is paramount. In retrospect I could have asked more questions and been clear on what I was looking for. This I'll practice on any future upgrades and when dealing with the LBS.

IMG_20210219_180849.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Glad they stepped up and got it resolved. More importantly, I am glad you are happy with the resolution.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,200 Posts
Congrats and friendly but firm goes a long way indeed.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts