Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
So in your mind it’s fine for a business to be shady. Just keep on being a dishonest business owner because even if reported nothing will be done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Common throughout industry, retail and about every where else.
Very true, heck you guys should see the camera and watch industry, at least we really don't have to deal with US market versus "grey" market warranties.
For example buy a Nikon camera outside the USA and if you have a warranty issue you have to send it back to the service center in the country where you bought it from. Even though it is physically the same as a camera bought in the USA
Nightmare

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
So in your mind it’s fine for a business to be shady. Just keep on being a dishonest business owner because even if reported nothing will be done.
I make no comment on the LBS or what happened since as I noted above...we don't actually know what happened. We've got one perspective.

I just pointed out contacting the AG's office to let them know that you asked a shop to put a fork on your bike and they did, but it wasn't exactly the fork you were hoping for and when you asked the shop about it they offered you a discount or a new fork...that's going to get zero traction.

But, I am happy to be proven wrong so keep me posted since you seem really interested in the situation. I'm sure you'll keep tabs on it. :geek:

·
36,753 Posts
I’m just stating that it’s dishonest to do business like this and the shop should be reported to the correct agency. Pretty much all I’ve said here.

·
36,753 Posts
Damn that is funny, if my office got call for this we would be laughing for a week with the jokes. Good stuff DJ.
Sounds like you guys take your job seriously. Now all we have to do is figure out who we report your office to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wonder what office he will be laughing in
Currently working in law enforcement, dealing human trafficking, drugs, homeless freezing outside, homicides and such. There are not enough resources to even attempt to bother with a complaint like this and with the current defund the police movement there will be even less investigations moving forward. But have at it call the AG over this, it is good chuckle.
If you want something to happen, take it to civil court, that is the only real solution or just move on from it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
FYI, the fork they sold you has a value of $250-350 (from a shop) as a takeoff which is what this is. I haven’t read all 88 posts to see what you paid. But I would have a discussion with the shop ownner.

I would document everything via email.

If the owner doesn’t budge I would let every local club know what had transpired. I would also mention this to the shop owner if he isn’t budging. He owes you potentially a lot of “credit”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Currently working in law enforcement, dealing human trafficking, drugs, homeless freezing outside, homicides and such. There are not enough resources to even attempt to bother with a complaint like this and with the current defund the police movement there will be even less investigations moving forward. But have at it call the AG over this, it is good chuckle.
If you want something to happen, take it to civil court, that is the only real solution or just move on from it.
This. The AGs office does not have the resources to right every wrong (nor should we be paying for an AG office that would be so large it could). The OP has multiple remedies, he can demand a refund, dispute his credit card charge, bring a small claims action, and/or post a review on Yelp to draw attention to to the shops shady practices. I am unsure when citizens decides that government is the answer to every problem in their life, no matter how small.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This. The AGs office does not have the resources to right every wrong (nor should we be paying for an AG office that would be so large it could). The OP has multiple remedies, he can demand a refund, dispute his credit card charge, bring a small claims action, and/or post a review on Yelp to draw attention to to the shops shady practices. I am unsure when citizens decides that government is the answer to every problem in their life, no matter how small.
They have plenty of resources and the office is already large enough to deal with complaints of this nature. This isn't the same people that are dealing with major crimes, it doesn't take away from those resources. You can even file online.

From one AG's office
The Attorney General’s Office can help you find information you need as a consumer and help you resolve disputes with businesses.

Our Consumer Advocacy & Response Division (CARD) can answer your questions, refer you to a wide network of consumer assistance services, or, in some cases, directly assist you in resolving your problem.

·
36,753 Posts
The gall of this bike shop trying to pull a fast one on the OP. Not just in a fork that’s 5 years old passed off as current. But a double whammy with it being used. So from what I’m reading through out this thread is many of you think it’s ok to just accept money compensation, and or a return and let it go.

The bike shop has now gotten away with it and will try something just as shady on another unsuspecting customer. I say report the scum bags to the appropriate agency. If not, they will do this again, maybe not the same scenario but they will try something just as shady if given the easy road of not reporting them. That’s the problem with our society. Make us whole on what we’ve been wronged in these situations and we move on. Giving the shady companies a green light to try it on someone else. Grow a set and report these bastards.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
They have plenty of resources and the office is already large enough to deal with complaints of this nature. This isn't the same people that are dealing with major crimes, it doesn't take away from those resources. You can even file online.

From one AG's office
The Attorney General’s Office can help you find information you need as a consumer and help you resolve disputes with businesses.

Our Consumer Advocacy & Response Division (CARD) can answer your questions, refer you to a wide network of consumer assistance services, or, in some cases, directly assist you in resolving your problem.
I appreciate that may be what most AG offices say, but my experience is they are unfortunately mostly politically driven and devote virtually no resources to one off shady practices. I have had clients who have been defrauded out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting a district attorney or state attorney general to do anything is near impossible, unless it is a sexy story that helps at election time.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,200 Posts
Yeah, even you get not to much out of it money wise they get a track record.

Buddy of mine is doing a similar thing.
His last renters stiffed him on the rent and left tons of trash while disappearing into the night.
So they at least thought, he is taken them to court not so much in the hope for the money but to add to their not surprising already existing track record so that at one point a judge will pull out a go to jail card for them.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I appreciate that may be what most AG offices say, but my experience is they are unfortunately mostly politically driven and devote virtually no resources to one off shady practices. I have had clients who have been defrauded out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting a district attorney or state attorney general to do anything is near impossible, unless it is a sexy story that helps at election time.
Really, many states have searchable databases.
There is one local complaint that a gym won't take a $5 bill. A complaint was filed and it was resolved.

Refuse to accept US Currency of five dollar bill however no sign was disp...RG03 Physical Fitness Health SpasSatisfied – Adequate Business Response

Hundreds of thousands, that would be something the FBI would entertain.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
I don't believe there are any states without some sort of Consumer Protection Agency structured somewhere under the AG's office.

Where state is it that you are saying doesn't? Are you sure about that?

·
Registered
995 Posts
This seems to be a very hot topic
And I can see there might be two sides to it that one might not readily perceive
Selling a used product as new is always wrong; period

but what is a used product ? May seem like a silly question
however lots of shops buy new bikes from me and strip them and sell the parts
are those parts new or used? They have been mounted but never really “used”

on the other hand, many bikes sold as new have been tested ridden dozens of times
most motorcycle shops (other than Harley ) do not allow test rides at all
some bike shops have demo stock others use new stock as demo then resale as new
Some car dealers only allow test drives in demo models with are later sold at discount

what I am saying is a fork that has been taken off a new bike may have less miles on it than a ‘new’ bike that is sitting on display in some shops

used to me means ridden and used! for a period of time
a fork, der, crank, etc that has been mounted and never ridden is not in my mind used

in the industry ; used means ownership has been passed to a consumer (weather ridden or not)
Most bike industry warranties do not cover second consumer owner

I really hope this fork was not actually USED - if so , selling as new is very wrong and some might think justifies dragging the dealer thru cactus

these times put a lot of pressure on cyclists, dealers, and importers/manufacturers
so I hope this is just a misunderstanding

·
36,753 Posts
There was gummed up dirt in the snanchion seals. That screams used to me.

Reactions: Rockadile
81 - 100 of 119 Posts