Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
30,817 Posts
I couldn't pass this up... I know it's a bit off topic, but there were recently several days worth of discussion where it seems this logic didn't apply. Strange to see it being applied here.
Private sellers can operate however the hell they want. Even if they are doing it as a business of sorts, they don't have the same kinds of overhead that a brick & mortar traditional retailer has. If they're doing it as a hobby, or just listing whatever stuff they have, they can use whatever rules they want. Doesn't mean buyers have to buy their stuff, but they can sell it however they want.

A traditional brick & mortar shop that does too much of this is going to find themselves with a cash flow problem eventually. They'll be paying inventory tax every year on crap that doesn't sell. Stuff that doesn't sell occupies space that could be used on things that do, and which pay the bills. Joe Blow selling on Facebook marketplace or craigslist doesn't have those same problems.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I’m amazed at some of these responses. This bike shop is as dirty as they get. Why should he accept such a shady act and continue to do business with them? Get a full refund and report the crooked bastards to the BBB. Then find an honest bike shop.
This. Screw that shop. I would never spend a dime there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like OP has it figured out but one more vote for never going to that shop again. That is BS trying to take advantage of a newcomer to the sport. Opposite of what a good shop or anyone with a shred of honesty would do.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I was corrected. The Attorney General apparently is the better choice.
Don't beat yourself up, it's always worth reporting to the big boned babes.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It doesn't seem right that you were charged full price for somebody elses used junk.
At least they credited you but to only take off $100 isn't quite enough for used parts. Granted that fork doesn't have a super high retail (I think), you at least got it for a very reasonable price.

If the fork you have is leaps and bounds better than what came on your new bike, then it's worth it. If the 2 year old fork is equal to what you start with, then well that is pretty poor and I'd make them aware of how you are disappointed that they charged for the cost of new parts that are equal or lesser than the fork it replaced.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why would the OP call Trek?

The fork he bought aftermarket to replace the fork that originally came on his bike. The LBS that sold him the upgrade fork was not the LBS where he bought the original bike.
I understand the fork upgrade has nothing to do with Trek.

My thoughts are that the shop is a trek dealer so maybe some pressure can be put on the shop that way. I mean if the shop is that bad, I wouldn’t be going there anymore. Therefore I wouldn’t be buying another Trek. Brands’ reputations are inherently tied to customer service.

I’d also call the BBB. Might as well come at it from all sides.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
Yes I can just imagine the AG's office getting interested in a case of such importance to their jurisdiction. :LOL:
Then who the fock would you call?

I suggested the BBB and I was corrected and told it’s the AG in charge of such things. There must be some agency that’s in charge of crooked business techniques. I’m waiting for your suggestion. I guess it’s like calling the police on something not life threatening. Good luck getting any help even though it’s their jurisdiction and are paid by our tax dollars to do the job. I get it, man power saved for more pending emergency situations.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Then who the fock would you call?
I wouldn't call anyone. The OP is being offered $$ of the fork or a new fork. He could also just ask for his money back. It's not like a Federal crime was committed. He asked for a fork and was sold one. Without being there to hear every word exchanged it's not like we know what happened really. It's just not a big deal worth getting wound up about. The OP can decide what to do and then take his future business else where.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
The OP asked about purchasing a specific product from the shop. Implicit in the transaction was it was new (not necessarily of a certain manufacture date, but unused condition), as it was being sold by a retail shop that deals in new merchandise. They furthered this by supplying it with the retail box. While selling NOS without saying so is a bit shady, selling a used product without disclosing that fact is fraud.

If I were the OP, I would demand a full refund. If they won’t refund the money, dispute the transaction with your credit card. For $350 cad, there are many better forks available in good used condition.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes I can just imagine the AG's office getting interested in a case of such importance to their jurisdiction. :LOL:
Not sure how things work in America's hat, but in the US
The state AG office have an entire consumer protection office for this. Some states have a separate entity that handles these kind of complaints, a consumer affairs division.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Not sure how things work in America's hat, but in the US
The state AG office have an entire consumer protection office for this. Some states have a separate entity that handles these kind of complaints, a consumer affairs division.
Go nuts. See what happens. My bet is...nothing.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Go nuts. See what happens. My bet is...nothing.
You would be wrong, AG offices love to send out letters to business. Helping the little guy is good for votes.
The OP should definitely talk to the shop first, but if he doesn't get satisfaction, then this is where to start.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
No I totally understand what's going on and what is going happen. Nothing.
Well, not nothing. This has gained the ire of many mtbr posters, man!

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

Reactions: vikb
61 - 80 of 119 Posts