Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is no Whole Enchilada in variety.
It is not as hard as Hard Coere 100.
It is not fully built yet, nearly flat, but gorgeous shore views, some cliffs, bike tunnels, scary bridges, the long long loop on the SF Bay trail is a feat to be repeated.

I got a road bike and had to put it through a good test, so sketched an exploration of the SF Bay Trail and went for it. Easy pace, energizer bunny endurance ride, extra juice for the Garmin.

Check it with pics on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2327101487/overview

Or without having to sign up, see it on RideWithGPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34075543?privacy_code=KbawZGsIhRWPVFDa

Next time I will split in two days, to fully appreciate the views during daytime only, and to get better coffee - no starbucks at 2AM!

Summary: 260mi (240mi +10x2 to/from home), 21h moving, 3kft
Blue Yellow Colorfulness Text White

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think RideWithGPS coders expected rides longer than 24hrs... :)

Similar thing happened on a 300mi ride New Haven-Boston-Providence-New Haven. Garmin Connect mobile would insist "please enter a valid calorie amount" - wouldn't take over 10kcal from the .fit file!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Nice. That is some serious miles..........

It might be cool to ride the entire Bay Area Ridge Trail because most of it is on dirt, but it still is not completely finished. 375 miles out of the 550 miles are open to the public. 330 miles are open to bikes. Can still probably do it with some road riding on the incomplete sections. Someone probably has done it before. It is a big ride.

Blue Yellow Text White Colorfulness

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And you put it up on Strava? Great. Now everybody's going to do it.

:) Well done!
I hope people don't follow it blindly, some sections need edits, to avoid hiking trails not friendly to road bikes, and the bridge at Hy 37 is not for the uninsured (life insurance). Southeast portion could use some rerouting, more trail, less roads. West portion is way more completed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I started mountain biking 3.5 years ago (after a 30 year hiatus), pretty much daily, really loved it. Started doing some longer rides, Saratoga to the beach and back, then mountain centuries, that feeling of just riding, no time to be anywhere.

Work takes me back east half of the month, and company bought mountain and road bikes, so started putting some road miles, too. First centuries, then century and a half, then 300mi rides, one shot. CT-ferry-Long Island full, NYC and back. Boston, Providence loop. Mohawk trail, etc. Winter centuries are much harder, as feet, hands and water bottle freeze.

No matter what, Hard Coere 100 remains the hardest ride I ever did.

I had only one mountain bike here until 2 months ago, this long loop was kind of the road bike 'break in'. It passed - no flats, what else can you ask for? :)

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
I hope people don't follow it blindly, some sections need edits, to avoid hiking trails not friendly to road bikes, and the bridge at Hy 37 is not for the uninsured (life insurance). Southeast portion could use some rerouting, more trail, less roads. West portion is way more completed.
Sick! Yea last time I did that I avoided the bay trail so I didnt have to worry about slowing down for joggers or doggoes. Also planned that ride on 37 to Sears point during rush hour and they were bumper to bumper doing 5mph. Maybe something to consider for the future?

Bay Area Ridge Trail has also been done by a dude who bike camped and rode it out in 3 days i think... i'm sure there's a link floating around somewhere...

https://www.strava.com/activities/744132090

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No Death Ride for me - that's a trip I want to be the last in the peloton :)

Seriously, those look like a different type of 'fun' - I enjoy taking pics, breathing in the scenery, all about the journey, not destination, not Strava segments, etc. I like solo, barely planned adventures, and I am cheap - if I can do it for free any other day...

Now this one looks interesting, maybe after retiring. Pedal, Forest, pedal!

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/transamerica-trail/

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Bay Ridge Trail Loop is definitely on my radar, but requires much better planning - way more vertical 'mileage', many sections need a mountain bike and too many just won't allow bikes period, so need road alternatives.

I went for the SF Bay Trail because it was nearly flat, fully bike legal and could be followed almost to the letter. All the little shore ins and outs do add to the mileage, though.

See the map below - red is my ride, green was yours, and magenta is the Ridge Trail. If multi-day, carrying a Visa for a hotel, not camping gear up and down 2600ft many times. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice. That is some serious miles..........

It might be cool to ride the entire Bay Area Ridge Trail because most of it is on dirt, but it still is not completely finished. 375 miles out of the 550 miles are open to the public. 330 miles are open to bikes. Can still probably do it with some road riding on the incomplete sections. Someone probably has done it before. It is a big ride.

View attachment 1253113
The ridge trail main problem, is that even in the finished portions bikes are personae non gratae in too many places. Also no night riding even when we are allowed. Makes the elevation seem a trivial issue. :-(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.