Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

Wanted to let you know about a class I co-teach at the Crucible in West Oakland. It's a framebuilding class where we TIG weld single speed mountain bikes (though some people end up turning them into commuters). This class usually fills up within a couple days of being offered, but we still have spots available so I thought I'd let people on the forum know about it.

A bit about the class: first of all, we're no UBI (but we're also a lot cheaper). It's a ten week class, three hours a week on Monday nights (April 27-July 6) 7-10p. That's only 30 hours of instruction, so it's a pretty fast paced class - you need to arrive knowing how to TIG weld already and with at least some comfort in the machine shop. We typically end up doing a fair amount of work outside of class time, but not everybody finishes their frame in the 10 weeks, so you may have to do some extra work to finish afterwards. At the very least we get everybody to have a mitered, fit, and tacked frame so they can finish up in a welding lab on their own without any additional tooling. We unfortunately don't have a lot of time to talk about design (sorry PVD), so we can't really do that much outside the norm. That said, you will learn how to build a bike, and it's pretty cheap for what you get.

Enrollment is way down at the Crucible, so we've got a deal going now where you get 20% off tuition, or 30% if you become a Crucible member. You have to sign up before the 27th though.

Here's a link to the class

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, email me at rhowsonATgmailDOTcom, or just post here and I can answer in public.

For those of you not in the bay area, I'll be taking a ton of pictures and I'm hoping to get one of the students to maybe make some regular posts here on the forum to talk about their experience.

Here are some pics from last years class:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds interesting. Too bad I haven't yet progressed past MIG to TIG welding. This work stuff gets in the way of all things bicycle. Live to Ride.

·
Dad
187 Posts
The Crucible is awesome!

I can't speak to the bike building course, but I'm currently taking the Machine Shop course, and highly recommend it. It's 10 three-hour classes, with optional labs to use the equipment and build your own projects. I had no previous experience with machines of this sort (full-size production equipment), but I've been having a great time. I began my lab by starting a fork-building fixture that I hope to finish in the remaining 16 hours.

It's close to BART, the freeway and lots of bike lanes (which, of course, have lots of glass in them...)

The only negative so far is that I'm bummed I signed up before seeing the 20% off deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello! i know this is many years later, but i'm curious if this class is ever offered at the crucible these days? my company has started a new perk where they pay for us to take a workshop of our choice, and i love the idea of being able to make my own bike frame.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts

·
Dad
187 Posts
My guess is that it never took off because they had the machine shop course and one or two tig courses as prerequisites. I argued the machine shop course (which was a ton of fun) seemed like overkill for simply mitering tubes. I think a basic tube mitering system powered by a drill plus a couple of jigs for stays would be plenty suitable if everyone was required to use standard 9/6/9 tubes. Heck, they have a whole O/A section, make it tig or braze building. I'm planning to stop in there on the way home from SF one of these days soon. I'll throw it out there if there is any interest as an offering.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Good luck. I suggested a some things when they recently brought up less attendance and not a single item of the 5 "best" ideas has been addressed. All of which were ideas that could/would actually increase their grants funding at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts