Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not handle the cross max creak anymore and I didn't want I9's because I wanted light wheels that I could run tubeless without rim strips. I decided to give these a try and they are even better than I expected. They have just as fast engagement as I9's, they are laterally stiffer than my cross max SLR's were (that surprised me), they run almost completely drag free and the rear wheel with skewer and valve was 30 grams lighter than my cross max with skewer and valve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Snazzy wheels, be interesting to see how these CB wheels hold up... Look forward to hearing some reports from you over the long term

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
HaHa,

Flyer said:
Don't you two (Whafe/CF) dare buy those. Fo will not be able to contain himself and it will go on for a year :)

Yeah..do put up a review in a few months, Johnny Hair Boy.
Don't worry Flyer I won't be running out to buy those anytime soon ( nor whafe I'm sure ),I would how ever like to hear abput them..And not for nothing that Epi sure is alot of bike no? CF..

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I feel your pain bro,

Flyer said:
Yeah, that Epi is so blinged out, I bet it gets a lot of attention. I'm still trying to get the black Sultan visions out of my head. When that happens, I usually have a new frame in a week or two :)
I too am a mess over the whole "Black Sultan" thing. Not sure what to do but like you I'm sure I'll figure it out..:cool: CF..

·
Registered
731 Posts
Like those Wheels Johnny

I just sent my two pair of CrossMax SLR creakers to Mavic for MP3 warranty the noise was making me crazy- I have only rode them for 6 months. Tried everything I could before sending them in Mavic has had them for ten days now. I like the CB with your paint. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The MSRP on SLR's here is $1600 Canadian dollars. No one sells them for that much but the MSRP on the Crank Bro's are a lot less than that. The I9's were not an option for me I don't want to use tubes or rim strips and I refuse to Wait 8 weeks for anything.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hum, wondering which Cross Max wheels you were sick of. I have 2007 ST's and I think they are the source of the creeking I have been fighting. It is highly annoying and honestly shocking for the amount of money I spend on them.please let me know which wheels you had that were noisey? thanks, and thanks for posting the bling wheels. I lookforward to hearing how they hold up.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ventana1 said:
hum, wondering which Cross Max wheels you were sick of. I have 2007 ST's and I think they are the source of the creeking I have been fighting. It is highly annoying and honestly shocking for the amount of money I spend on them.please let me know which wheels you had that were noisey? thanks, and thanks for posting the bling wheels. I lookforward to hearing how they hold up.
I had SLR's but all cross max wheels since 07 creak. It is because of the new "improved" hub. You can keep it at bay by lubing the spoke hub interface but you have to do it often and it was just to much effort for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheels for the Epiphany

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum thing and I originally wanted to start my own thread, but I have had no luck figuring out how to do it...

I had a question for those knowledgeable folk out there: I am in the market for some new wheels for my forthcoming Epiphany. The build kit is all XO with a Dues Cranks and some Thomson and Easton stuff... That being considered, I have a nice possibility of making a pretty light five inch travel bike. Right now I my wheels are Mavic Crosslands. I want to get a lighter and stronger wheelset for some aggressive xc riding, with some small jump potential (I'm talking about 3 foot drops)... I weigh about 165 and I'll be pedaling a large Epiphany. I'd like to get something in the 0-$700 range. Can anybody help my with some suggestions?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Rob

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are lots of good wheels out there but stay away from cross max unless you like sound effects coming from your wheels. I don't like the Idea of using rim strips and wanted light wheels so I was limited to XTR, Crank Bros, Red Metal and Creak Max. I love my wheels my second choice was going to be the Fulcrum Red Metals. If you run tubes or don't mind messing with rim Strips you could try I9 but they have a LONG wait time. I have quite a few rides and one 24 hour race on these wheels so far and they have exceeded my expectations. I serviced the rear hub just for fun and it is super easy the only threaded part on the rear hub is the lock ring for the cassette the rest you pull apart by hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice wheels!

I was actually considering getting the Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset myself.
Besides the creaking, have you had any other problems with them?

Somebody told me the free wheeling mechanism isn't that flash and wears out fast.
He also reckoned the bearings in them didn't last much longer.
Any truth in that?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had a set of Crossmax XL's for 5 years - never creaked. I've changed the bearings a couple of times and one freehub body and pawls. Ridden hard in UK conditions and the Alps - can't fault them. Had Crossmax ST's for 5 months on my HT and no creaking - light, strong and still true after a real beating.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.