Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if any one would be willing to share their thoughts on the following discussion about using "sexualized" images of women by a women's mountain bike club.
http://muddbunnies.com/index.php?op...&catid=41:muddbunnie-news&Itemid=63#yvComment
Does it matter? Is there something at stake? Are people making a big deal over nothing? What does it mean to be feminine in a male dominated sport? How should women try to get noticed/perceived in this sport? As women in the sport, do you feel you get treated differently? badly? the same? do you care?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My thought is that I have seen some HAWT guys riding mountain bikes and wouldn't it be nice if they posed for a similar calendar? After all, the sport IS predominantly male...

And maybe it would draw more women into the sport, if they saw that a buncha' good-looking men participated? :D

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,874 Posts
Honestly... All I'm thinking is that if I posed for that calendar, they'd be loosing money and maybe even hurting people by prompting them to scratch their eyeballs out, lol....

If some gals want to do it, it's their choice not mine. Whatever. If my friends did it... I'd probably buy the calendar and store it away for show-and-tell on their 60th b-day party. :devil:

·
Blue Pig
1,555 Posts
Not sure if a male opinion counts here but things like these would push younger females to ride more and quit possibly get into this sport/hobby/etc. Plus the "HAWT" looking guys wouldn't mind some female calenders... I know I don't want to be marking dates with some male on a bike posing. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

The Calender would make for good role-modeling? :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Blksocks said:
Not sure if a male opinion counts here but things like these would push younger females to ride more and quit possibly get into this sport/hobby/etc. Plus the "HAWT" looking guys wouldn't mind some female calenders...
Ummm... yeah. Like there was any doubt what the male opinion of this idea would be? You notice that no one even bothered to ask? :rolleyes:

·
I just wanna ride my bike
836 Posts
canadiana said:
Does it matter? Is there something at stake? Are people making a big deal over nothing? How should women try to get noticed/perceived in this sport? As women in the sport, do you feel you get treated differently? badly? the same? do you care?
There will always be critics voicing their disdain for someone else's action when it doesn't suit their personal beliefs or speaks to their insecurities. Vancouver firemen pose to raise money for a specialized burn unit; the Muddbunnies pose to raise money to support club activities that allow women of all riding levels to learn and enjoy in a welcoming and fun environment. Why is one okay and the other not?

BTW - I was in the first Muddbunnie calendar. I ride with both guys and gals. Did I get treated differently? No. If someone didn't like what I did, so be it; I'm confident in who I am and what I stand for.

·
Ms. Monster
1,811 Posts
This is a really tough one for me.

On the one hand, using sexuality for power is very second-generation feminist. I'm a fan of people being comfortable with and proud of their bodies - particularly when the reason they look good is that they're very athletic. A lot of younger women aren't into the "butch mountain bike" image, so something like this (as the male poster said) could be positive for the sport. Also, we'd all prefer to have guys think "female mountain biker? HOT" rather than "female mountain biker? MANLY".

On the other hand, this could be seen as objectification (even though the participants are all willing). It could make current female mountain bikers uncomfortable if they don't want to be perceived as purely sex objects, but rather as complete people. I don't want to think that the guys I ride with are constantly wondering how I would look in a scantily clad calendar. But that's probably naive!

I don't personally feel I get treated any differently. I hang with the guys, try to keep up with most of them and enjoy it when they tease others because I "chicked" them. I think it helps that I ride with my husband, so I'm not available. I do have to say, I find it very uncomfortable when a very flirty girl comes on our nice comfortable rides, as it really changes the dynamic.

As for how women should get noticed/perceived in this sport? I personally think that should be based on what the women themselves want. Some like the sexy personna. Some are comfortable with feminine but not aggressively sexy (e.g. Emily Batty). And some just don't care. I just don't like it when the marketing machine jumps all over women's images.

·
Premium Member
7,374 Posts
Personally, I would be more likely to buy it with just the MTB'g pictures, without the cheesecake additions, and would be a lot happier seeing it in the LBS that way too. It's kinda sad if that would not sell. But I'm not concerned it will impact me personally either...the guys buying these are probably at home j**king off, not riding on my trails.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,110 Posts
That is some pretty bizarre juxtaposition of images. Ripping chick in full body armor, overlaid with gal in garters?

I'm not going to repeat much of what is being said. Opinions on this kind of thing are always all over the board, from the "orn-objectifying women" POV to the "sure I'd buy it" contingent. Are you looking for support for any particular view point?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have no problem with it at all. I think there IS a tendency for guys to stereotype female mountain bikers and assume that if a woman is attractive she can't ride. Which obviously makes no sense at all - there's no real correlation - just an assumed one. Assuming that all female mountain bikers look alike is ridiculous - and about as valid as "all women love the color pink". Granted, it can be a little hard to tell what female DH/FR riders look like since are usually hidden under a full face helmet and body armor. So I can definitely understand the desire to show that you're not hiding under the gear because you hate the way you look.

Also - while it's definitely more extreme/common with female athletes, it's silly to think that male athletes aren't sexualized too for extra publicity as well. I'm just happy that female mountain bikers wear appropriate gear similar to what the guys wear to ride/race in - just think - it could be like volleyball in the Olympics where the guys are wearing shirts and long shorts and the women are wearing thongs and bikini tops...

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,874 Posts
connie said:
... just think - it could be like volleyball in the Olympics where the guys are wearing shirts and long shorts and the women are wearing thongs and bikini tops...
Oh GREAT- now I'm imagining riding and wiping out in a thong + bikini top, lol..... DO.NOT.WANT!!!!!

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,952 Posts
I'm more interested in discussions on what girls can do as opposed to what they should, shouldn't, or can't do. Lets give women the opportunity to do what they want and not worry their decisions they have made for themselves.

Oh, yes, I do get treated differently, but it has come a long way from how I was treated 17 years ago, when I started this sport.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mtbxplorer said:
Personally, I would be more likely to buy it with just the MTB'g pictures, without the cheesecake additions, and would be a lot happier seeing it in the LBS that way too. It's kinda sad if that would not sell. But I'm not concerned it will impact me personally either...the guys buying these are probably at home j**king off, not riding on my trails.
Sorry honey, but if we've got an internet connection, we aint gonna be jacking off to some calendar...

As far as how women feel about how they are perceived by men, let me give you a guys perspective:
If you're good looking, we're gonna give you a once over and maybe even wonder what you look like without all them clothes on. If you're not that good looking, then you've got no worries, we are as likely to picture you naked as we would another guy. So, just 'cause you are a women doesn't mean we look at you as a sex object. Oh, and just 'cause you're good looking doesn't mean we won't respect you for your mad skillz if you got them. And, just because we might appreciate you for your feminine beauty doesn't mean we have any other intentions. Believe me, I'll appreciate all day, but that's about all I'm interested in doing, I'm married to a beautiful woman and that's all the drama I need.

P.S. I really actually like this calendar and how they show both a riding pic and a sexy pic. Otherwise, if they are just in there riding gear, who's to say there is even a woman under all those clothes, pads, and giant helmet? Might as well be guys on those bikes for all I care. Like I said, I like it, shows there ability and there sexuality, nice combo. They look good, and they could kick my ass...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.