Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm 46, about 5' 9" and 170 lbs with minor history of knee pain... nothing serious (no surgeries or doctor prescribed meds or prolonged rest periods). Participated in a run/MTB duathlon on March 23rd (2-mile gravel/trail run followed by 10-mile trail ride). Had a few ramp up runs the week leading up to the race but laid off running after feeling a little discomfort in my right knee. Day of the race, the knee seemed to feel fairly normal but less than 100 yards into the run, it started hurting a lot. Limped-ran the rest of the 2 miles thinking the bike ride had to hurt less than the running. Felt better on the bike, except when I’d get jarred going over a root or rock, then I'd feel pain shooting up into my knee.

Next day at at work, the only way I could get around was on some borrowed crutches. 2 days later doc says it's probably a case of severe knee tendinitis. 2-4 weeks of (relative) rest and I should see significant improvement. Another week's gone by and I'm still hobbling around on crutches. Can put a little more weight on the leg when I try to walk, but not much.

Starting to get concerned but wondered what other bikers' experiences have been with severe knee tendinitis. I know everyone's body responds differently but trying to gauge what might be a realistic time to allow for recovery. Plus my mind starts conjuring up other potential diagnoses like a stress fracture or something like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I developed knee tendonitis 6 months ago during a bike tour. It took a month of taking it easy (on the bike) for it to go away. Flat ground was fine, but any climb longer than 1 - 2 minutes triggered the inflammation. I'm 31.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
My son (17) had suffered from it, when he's in pain his routine is taking ibuprofen and icing up after riding then after a hot bath uses a roller to stretch his leg muscles and after a couple of weeks of mellow riding and rest he's fine.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
give up running for sure until 100% resolved. then give up running for good :)

just ride EZ and short ride (30 minutes or less a day, slow easy spin no load)

it can be 1-2 months or 1-2 years to recover depending on the true nature of the problem, but they key is not to fight it, let the knee heal up and it might be slow going....worth the wait. I think you are looking at 2 months. I was 100% down and out on crutches for 10 months and only now 2 years later am I back to pushing >350 watts without the knee hurting. thought I would never get back, but I did with months of very short riding, doing a lot of stuff not biking... and waiting it out....fyi I am 49 it is possible to recover

stretch that thing too, make heel touch butt, and also straighten leg out standing and push back on kneecap....stretches like that will help a boatload

·
Registered
356 Posts
At your age you need to incorporate these things in your training regimen after you rest it and feel you can do a decent workout. Definitely a roller to break up those points around your leg that are restricting, do this religiously! While watching TV, before a ride if possible, and after. A massage stick also is a great tool to get to those hard to reach places that the roller can't get. Both of these should not set you back more than $50 and are the best investment I have made this past year. Stretching in general should be a part of your workout EVERY time you put your body through stress. This is a given for anyone over 40. A recovery drink with Whey will help after your training workouts to feed the muscles around your knee. If you can afford it, invest in some. Another thing I noticed is the shoes I wear on a daily basis. If you invested in these "barefoot" style shoes and have switched from traditional running shoes with cushion, that may be something that is causing your pain as well. Something to think about. Another, may be your fit on your bike. I had pain in my knee and I moved my saddle back and raised the seat a bit to get that proper 10 degree bend when pedaling. Big difference! Every rider is different and I hope your knee gets better. I am 43, had ACL surgery almost 20 years ago on my right knee, and still ride like a futhamucka!! Peace!:thumbsup:

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Stretching, massage, heat/cold; not rocket science and all good. That is actually the easy part. The hard part is just staying off of your feet and not rushing back into your activity.

Athletes don't sit around much. I guess that is what makes them athletes. That said, sitting around is what you need to do for much longer than you want to. Weight-bearing and force through the knee are what got you where you are.

Start back too soon and you are back to square one and you get to start your 2-4 weeks all over again.

Start back too soon and you are back to square one and you get to start your 2-4 weeks all over again.

This is not an easy thing to do but consider a part of your training regimen.

Best wishes for patience and success.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No more running, stop all activity that makes you feel the pain. If it takes complete rest do it. when pain is all gone give it one more week of complete rest.

You want to take care of this right the first time. Prolonging it with half ass exercising is not going to do you any good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.