Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my riders is now being treated for a congenital stomach acid condition. What that ends up meaning is really plain food and no grease. More importantly this rider can no longer eat any of the "power" foods we routinely consume: bars, shots, cytomax. We can still do the carbo loading with pasta and light cheese sauces tha day before and bagels and fruit in the AM before rides/races.
Can anyone make recommendations for other foods to help out?

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is a very nonscientific answer, but I have a really sensitive stomach, and get heartburn a lot. What usually works for me is: Gatorade, or Gatorade/water mix, granola bars, Ensure (vanilla), oatmeal creme pies, pasta (no cheese or tomato sauce...just light olive oil, maybe a sprinkle of parmesan), pringles, flour tortillas with grilled chicken (not spicy), turkey sandwiches (no cheese). Sometimes peanut butter sits ok with me, and sometimes not.

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Bananas?

Back before there were gels, and bars, old time roadies like myself used to put a banana in their back pocket and go. I used to start a long ride with a banana and a yoohoo, and save another for later. Ah, the breakfast of chimps.
I used to have some stomach problems, but always found this OK.

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
I'll pass this along. Any more contributions?
Check out Champion Nutrition. I've been using it on empty stomach for a while with no ill effects. I know before races I've always had a nervous stomach. Also try giving the kid a Pepcid complete to try and cut down on the acid (if it's ok with their doctor).
An alternate to acid reducing medicines might be saltines or natural unbleached bread.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
for me..

nanners, gatorade, chocolate ensure, non caffiene chocolate guis, kings hawaiian sweet bread (the little packs including two pieces of bread) and a recent fav..small breakfast sandwiches without meat. Eclectic..yes..psychosomatic..maybe...but it seems to work..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yog!

Berkeley Mike said:
I'm big on yogurt for the stomach. Those little cartons cost a lot and have a bunch of junk like corn syrup, so I make my own. It's really easy in actuality-I use a heating pad to curdle it overnight after the whey is removed. Then I add some fresh fruit...

Broccoli is pretty non-reactive as well.

·
Throbbing Member
86 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy. The stuff is so bland you have to flavor it until you get used to it. Mondo calories and easily digested, good for endurance racing. It's used in hospitals to get people healthy enough so they can operate on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.