Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for some time now I figured i should introduce myself. I am a 20 year cycling industry veteran who loves to ride East Coast singletrack. I have had the opportunity to ride tons of different bikes, work on just as many and have met some incredible people over the past 20 years.

A year ago I left the industry to persue another career and have found myself riding more now then ever before. So here are my bikes:
1) Pivot Mach 4, 26 lbs according to my old shool scale. Just received it last week and have only 2 rides on it but love it so far.
2) Seven Cycles Sola, 23 lbs. I love titanium and love hardtails. It is by far the best riding hardtail I have ever been on.
3) Wifes Seven Cycles Verve, 21 lbs. She is just learning how to ride a mountain bike (thus the big platform pedals). I built it up with a bunch of spare parts mixed with new bits.

Regards,
Fred

Attachments

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Man those bikes are nice. Love the blue on your wife's bike. Really nice.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Sexy looking twin Seven's there...... Very nice indeed

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

The build list goes like this:
Frame = Pivot Mach 4 medium
Fork = Fox F100 mm
Headset = Cane Creek ZS-6 for now (Ritchey Logic WCS Pro Carbon en route)
Stem = Seven Cycles Ti with ti bolts
Bar = Race Face Deus 1" rise
Grips = Oury
Post = Race Face Deus with ti bolts
Saddle = Fizik Aliante all ti
Cranks = Race Face Deus X type with ti and aluminum bolts (had to modify small ring to clear BB shell on frame)
BB = Shimano (so they tell me)
Pedals = Crank Brothers Egg Beater 4 Ti
Front Derailleur = Shimano XTR
Chain = Sram PC991 cross step
Cassette = Sram PG990 11-32
Rear Derailleur = Sram XO medium cage
Brakes = Avid Juicy Carbon 160 mm rotors front and rear with all ti bolts
Wheels = Chris King hubs with WTB Laserdisc rims, DT Compition spokes with aluminum nipps
Skewers = Salsa ti
Tires = Kenda tomac Blue Groove 2.35 front, Nevegal 2.2 rear

Frame = Seven Cycles Sola custom
Fork = Fox F100 mm
Headset = Chris King with ti bolt
Grips = Oury
Post = Kent Eriksen ti (post rocks)
Saddle = Fizik Aliante all ti
Cranks = Race Face Deus X type with ti and aluminum bolts
BB = Race Face x type
Pedals = Crank Brothers Egg Beater 4 Ti
Brakes = Avid Juicy Carbon 160 mm rotors front and rear with all ti bolts
Wheels = Chris King hubs with Stan's ZTR Arch rims, DT Compition spokes with aluminum nipps
Skewers = Salsa ti
Tires = Kenda tomac Blue Groove 2.35 front, Nevegal 2.2 rear

Frame = Seven Cycles Verve custom
Fork = Fox F80 mm
Headset = Chris King
Grips = Oury
Post = Moots
Saddle = WTB Devo ti
Cranks = Race Face with ti and aluminum bolts
BB = Crank Brothers Cobalt ti
Pedals = Primo platforms (Shimano XTR clipless once she is comfortable with the bike)
Brakes = Avid Juicy Carbon 160 mm rotor front, 140 mm rear with all ti bolts
Wheels = WTB Laserdisc lite
Skewers = Salsa ti
Tires = Kenda Small Block 8.

I like the fact that I can steal parts from any bike to keep one rolling. For me these are solid builds and have provided excellent service to me. Also my experience with these companies working in the industry has been second to none! I ride all singletrack all the time with all types of riders from Crazy Fred to pure novices. (Fred I owe you a call).

Reagrds
Fred

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice bikes.

I am considering both a pivot and a seven IMX. I am not sure if I want to go back to a hardtail after about 5 years on FS. Looking for any opinions, on the two.

thx.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
Finally, a post from somebody who actually owns a Mach 4. With all these AM types raving about their Mach 5's, I was beginning to doubt that Pivot ever shipped any Mach 4's. I'm still undecided whether I want the extra travel & weight - probably don't need a final decision for a couple years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sola and Pivot

mtb_frk,

I love both bikes. I try to ride them equally. Again i ride almost all singletrack, the Seven is just simple and smooth, predictable, comfortable (for a hardtail). I ride it alot with my wife and solo rips. It's where my roots started on mtn bikes..... a hardtail.

The Pivot is more the same only I can ride much faster, harder with more intensity. It still handles with great precision but the suspension allows me some fudge factor. The suspension feels smooth and I don't notice it at all while climbing or really mashing the pedals.

Not sure if this helps.
Fred

mtb_Frk said:
Nice bikes.

I am considering both a pivot and a seven IMX. I am not sure if I want to go back to a hardtail after about 5 years on FS. Looking for any opinions, on the two.

thx.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mach 4

burtronix,

I was flip flopping between a Mach 4 and Mach 5 and am glad I went with the 4. I was able to use most of the parts from my previous bike which was a bonus. I have a new bar and stem on order to get the fit dialed just right. I concider myself a trail rider but have little to no interest for launching off huge drops. I am a General Contractor that cannot afford broken bones. As stated before it rides great for the style rider and terrian I prefer.

Regards,
Fred

burtronix said:
Finally, a post from somebody who actually owns a Mach 4. With all these AM types raving about their Mach 5's, I was beginning to doubt that Pivot ever shipped any Mach 4's. I'm still undecided whether I want the extra travel & weight - probably don't need a final decision for a couple years.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
Reposado77 said:
I concider myself a trail rider but have little to no interest for launching off huge drops. I am a General Contractor that cannot afford broken bones.
Fred,

Thanks for the reply. I don't depend on my body for my livelihood, but I do have an aversion to pain, & I'm old enough now that it is harder to recover from injury. I suffered a cracked rib last year as a result of switching to clipless pedals. It took 6 months to get my physical conditioning back.

Some of the guys I ride with have 5-6" travel bikes, but that's because they're cream-puffs & want max comfort, not because they're doing drops. I think the Mach 4 would be just the ticket for XC races & Xterra triathlons.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mtb_Frk said:
Fred
Thanks for the response.

Any idea what the weight is of your mach 4? I am really leaning towards something FS, but seven makes some hot hard tails...
My scale is not super accurate but the bike weighs 25.5 - 26 lbs as pictured.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Nice, now you need a Pivot Mach 4 (blue) for your wife :D

Any idea what the weight is of your mach 4? I am really leaning towards something FS, but seven makes some hot hard tails...
Okay since you are leaning towards FS, what kind of experience are you looking for, is weight a concern to you, your riding style and is money a big importance or just another point to take before buying a bike.

Answer these questions and I can give you a rough list of bikes you might want to try :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Dave

Hey Dave,

I live up in Stoneham. Don't get to the Vineyard much, maybe once a year but the next time I head down I will drop you a line. It sure would be great getting out for a ride with the man behind the design, if you ever find your way up North let's hit the trail and have a beer :thumbsup: Drop me a pm to discuss more.

I have made some changes to the Pivot, changed the stem to a Race Face Deus, bar to a Race Face Next and swapped wheels with my Sola. I love this bike, it really has re-ignited my passion for mountain biking. I am also in the process of ordering a 2009 Turner Sultan and entering the realm of 29er-dom.

I think it's easy to tell from the photos where I spent my last few years working in the industry. I have made some very strong recommendations to certain people there about DW Link and how to augment the current line. We will see...............

Regards,
Fred

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Reposado77 said:
I think it's easy to tell from the photos where I spent my last few years working in the industry. I have made some very strong recommendations to certain people there about DW Link and how to augment the current line. We will see...............

Regards,
Fred
i agree about the DW link. its really good. i really dont like the monolink suspension seven/maverick uses.

and you mentioned riding more now that your outside the industry, and thats totally true, because your busiest when everyone,including you wants to ride when your in the industry! hope you enjoy your new job and the different time constraints. ride on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.