Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered two Paragon Machine Works MS1018 304 stainless steel bosses. They will be installed on a steel (not chro-mo) 3 wheeler frame, I already drilled the 1/4" holes.

Per the part description I noticed that the filler material is part of the boss. This will be my first time installing these, curious what you might recommend for inverter TIG settings to weld them? Specifically I use an Invertig 221 and 20 series torch.

I'm thinking about using a 1/16" 2% Lanthanated tungsten, no filler rod per the part description, 100% AR at ~20cfh, but about what amperage would you recommend?

Other settings above sound OK?

I don't braze or solder, so TIG is the only option for me.

Thanks

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,035 Posts
I just ordered two Paragon Machine Works MS1018 304 stainless steel bosses. They will be installed on a steel (not chro-mo) 3 wheeler frame, I already drilled the 1/4" holes.

Per the part description I noticed that the filler material is part of the boss. This will be my first time installing these, curious what you might recommend for inverter TIG settings to weld them? Specifically I use an Invertig 221 and 20 series torch.

I'm thinking about using a 1/16" 2% Lanthanated tungsten, no filler rod per the part description, 100% AR at ~20cfh, but about what amperage would you recommend?

Other settings above sound OK?

I don't braze or solder, so TIG is the only option for me.

Thanks
I only work with titanium so take this with a grain of salt...I don't change the welder settings at all with them. My machine stays setup at 150A with a 3/32 lanthanated or ceriated tungsten, pulser set to 30/10 and 8s of post flow. Just don't jam on the pedal.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That all looks good in my novice experience. My guess would be 50-75 amps. Flange on boss looks sufficient for a fusion weld (no filler).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I TIG mostly aluminum and only occasionally mild steel, so I was a bit worried about the max amperage for the 304. I think maybe I just need to go easy on the pedal and keep the arc close and very tight with a sharp point on the tungsten. I don't want to screw up this frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts