Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a house with a sweet cellar for wrenching...now I want to set it up. I've been wrenching for a few years, but always had to convert my living room into the shop to do any work, so I could never stock up on anything...

I thought of this as I've wanted to buy a couple cable sets to have on hand rather than heading to the shop each time I need something. What are your must have items in your shop? (I've got a stand and Park's advanced tool set)

·
Registered
457 Posts
it may be overkill but i would reccomend a decent sized 'parts washer' ... and a nice sized workbench that has a lip around the edge to catch those small rolling peices ...

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
a few yards of housing, a few cables, ferrules and end caps, brake fluid, tubes (I usually buy 20 at a time), grease, chain lube, oil, chains, brake pads and rotors, spokes in the sizes I need... even tires sometimes.

some of these are because I stock up when there are deals (for example, when sram changed the designations of their chains from pc-59 to 951 or whatever they are called now, nashbar had the 59s for like $10, so I bought 20 of them), or to save shipping because I can't stand the shops around me, and paying for shipping on something like a $2 cable seems like a waste. Others are because I know they will wear out and I don't want to not ride because I'm waiting for something (some things like brake pads you may be waiting for even if you go to an LBS, they may not have pads for your brakes).

Of course you don't want to go too overboard with things you may not be using forever, but knowing you aren't going to have to wait for a consumable part is nice. Also, I've never known any pike part to get cheaper over time.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Agree with Joules....

Think about what you use the most. Having some cables for the derailleur and/or brakes is always a good idea, brake pads, a chain or two, a couple of spare tires, at least one deraillure hanger for each bike if replaceable. Things like that. If you have cup and cone type bearings in your hubs you should have the size or sizes that you need for them when it comes time to maintain them. Granted you don't use them but maybe once a year, but when you do need them it can be a pain to find em sometimes. From there it's a matter of time. Now that you have the capability of storage, never through a part away that is in working order. If you upgrade a derailleur and the old one still works well enough, keep the old one. I don't know how many rides I've saved with that one. Or if it is junked out, pull the parts that are still good, jockey wheels, bushings and axels, cable clamp bolts, etc. I've got one of those small metal cabinets with the little plastic drawers in it. All my "stripped" parts go in a marked drawer. While I don't use them often I've used MANY parts that I have stored there. And all of it is stuff that you won't usually find at the LBS or online without a wait, and it's all stuff that if lost or destroyed will equal downtime until it can be replaced.

Anyway, like I said, think about what you use regularly, or things that may be tough to get on short notice, and stock that stuff. From there strip old derailleurs and other components of good bits, esspecially fasteners, that may not be readily available. From there you'll refine what you have on hand to fit your needs.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
113 Posts
Some random stuff that seemed excesive at first, but have actually been so glad I had hanging around....

Shimano Cable Guide for the Bottom bracket (little plastic thing)
Extra Computer Mount (Cat Eye for me)
Big Chain Ring
Chains
Ext Bottom Bracket
tires (usually buy 3 when on sale, to have extra when you tear a side wall)
Assortment of metric bolts, exspensive but worth it
Ball bearings and axles if you have servicable hubs

I always love having the right tool and the right part there when i need it, which unfortunatley means I have some stuff hanging around I don't use often, but if you wait for sales and patiently build up you get there.

Good luck.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.