Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've just bought my first downhill bike. Its second hand and the boxxer forks I believe are pre 2010, no rc or wc on them it just says boxxer. I'm only getting about 50mm of sag and believe I need to replace the spring for a softer one but before I start taking things apart, has anyone know if it is straight forward? I am also under the illusion this is a spring only model ie no air compression?
Cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression I should be aiming for 30%. 203mm forks.
Havent had chance to take it downhill yet but would be good to know what im aiming for.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
You need to go ride it on DH terrain.
Initial sag won't tell you everything.
You need to see how much travel you use and how the fork feels when pointed downhill at speed, when you push in to the face of jumps, corner hard, hit the brakes, and hit drops etc.
You could be right about the spring, but you should get some ride time so you have reference points.
20-30% sag is a good range for many riders.
Not sure what model you have.
What adjustment knobs do you see on the fork?
Do you have Boxxer letters on the stanchions and the lowers or just on the lowers?
You should be able to identify your fork with a google search for Boxxer 2009, boxxer 2008, etc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is compression, gate adjustment on top and a red knob at the bottom of the lowers? Is this rebound? Says boxxer only on the lowers nothing on the stanchions. Thanks for your advice- waiting on a new wedge kit and tyre to arrive before I can take it out.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
25% is a good starting point for a DH fork. Different riders will have different preferences, but 20-30% seems to be about the norm range for most riders.

·
bike rider
5,522 Posts
If my fork sagged that far on flat ground it would ride way too low when pointed downhill. I run 20-25mm sag. 30% sag is for the rear. Think about how the front and rear will change when aimed even just slightly downhill. Now your bike is setup for going fast downhill like it was always meant to do, not look cool and feel squishy in the car park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts