Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 3x9 setup on my bike with sram X0 twist grip shifters and an x-5 RD. I want to set it up 2x9 (remove the granny up front so im not tempted to use it in races). I am buying a sram x-9 rd to replace the x-5. I want to keep the x0 twist grips. But I had a few questions:
1.)will the inner limit on my FD move in enough to prevent accidental dropping of the chain if I should shift too far, or should/could I possibly run a road bike FD??

2.) Should I go with a long or medium cage RD?

3)Is there some problem with my idea that I am missing? Its always good to ask this so I dont spend the money on parts only to realize it isnt going to work....

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
1) Yes and Yes

2) I run long (1x9) but most people run medium or short

3) se your derailler stop screw to prent shifing into the granny ring and leave it alone...or just do if for race day and have granny for everything else

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! The idea about just setting the limit to prevent me from using the granny is a good one, but I'm looking to change my bike up some for this season...I'm sick of having the same generic setup as everyone else. I don't evel plan on using a granny, so I'm gonna remove it. I actually wanted to go 1x9 but upon evaluation of my riding style, it would kill me in races. I'm a slightly above average climber, but I excel on super hairy technical downhills...where I often run out of pedal in the big ring...so I would lose a ton of time without it.
-typed on my iPod so there are prolly a ton of typos

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I just converted my bike to a 2x9 and I love it. However, I dropped the big ring and changed the small and middle ring to a 24/36. I'm running this double with a 11-32 rear cassette and I'm not spinning out too much on the flats while maintaining enough low end grunt for those long steep climbs. My bike is a 29er so it's like having a a 27/40 on a 26er. While I like the idea of being different than others and I like the idea of ditching the granny gear, the granny gear is only a 17 gm penalty. Dropping the granny gear wouldn't be hard to do, but it just seems like a hassle to do if you are not planning on changing your overall gear ratios.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I see where your coming from. But I do about 25 xc races per year, most on the same course (2 laps)..which has one particular hill that I climb in the middle ring on the first lap no problem. The second lap I have done it, and Ive never lost when I do. The only time ive lost is when I whimp out and grab the granny gear on that one climb, because im not riding anywhere close to my full potential. I figure if I dont have a granny gear, Then I cant be tempted to use it. Heck I can walk faster than my granny gear goes anyway..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.