Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got and am installing a hone derailleur on my bike with 3 speeds on the rear. The low limit is nowhere near where I need it to be. With the low limit screw all the way in it still pushes way past my largest sprocket. when I put it on before adjusting the screw, the derailleur was up into my spokes. Is there a more gross adjustment to get it close before adjusting the screw?

Can i just buy a longer bump stop screw?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Yes, Longer Screw, Or...

Depending on the shifter you're using, have the shifter in the middle of its range when you attach the cable to the rear derailleur. Then it won't be able to pull enough cable to move the derailleur that far up.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
BrandonNorCal said:
I just got and am installing a hone derailleur on my bike with 3 speeds on the rear. The low limit is nowhere near where I need it to be. With the low limit screw all the way in it still pushes way past my largest sprocket. when I put it on before adjusting the screw, the derailleur was up into my spokes. Is there a more gross adjustment to get it close before adjusting the screw?

Can i just buy a longer bump stop screw?
Yep, you should be able to with a Shimano RD. I have heard the same is not true for SRAM, but that is irrelevant right now.

I have an old LX derailleur that I used as a single speed tensioner for a while. Even with the single cog in the middle of the cassette area, I was able to align the derailleur just with longer limit screws. 3 speeds should be a piece of cake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.