Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey training guru's ...need some training-for-dummies info

Thus far this year, the motto has been get-out-and-ride. A week usually includes a few 16-25 mile flat rides at a good clip, a 6-7 mile loop of singletrack with killer climbs, and hopefully a couple 10-12 mile mixed technical rides on the w/e. I've seen definite improvement on endurance & ability (grabbing bigger rings & smaller cogs) but I think I'd see better results with a more defined plan. I love lycra, but were it not for the hairy legs & goatee I'd likely be molested by some ******* seeing these chicken legs coming their way! :rolleyes: How do those pro roadies get such development? are they lifting to ride or just perpetually riding? I would love to gain some mass in my quads/hams.

thnx for any tips, advice or websites that would help...

~mud
(chicken-legs) :p

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mward said:
They don't have development, they just have no body fat so it looks like they have huge legs.
I'm sure this is true, but I'd still like to work up a plan to improve strength & endurance. It seems like my quads & calves see all the action...how do I get the hammies involved more? lower the seat?

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Quads and calves are the stock of cycling. If you want more hamstring development, lift weights, use clipless pedals. Hamstrings are typically underdeveloped compared to the quads. I dunno, I don't cycle to have pretty legs. Pick up Friel's Mountain Biker's Training Bible, it has a lot of training info in it, but mostly geared towards improving your riding, not muscular development.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Road Bike. That's what I'd say! Also, in the winter/off-season, leg strength building is a bonus. Other than that, sounds like you need a lot more miles (like on a road bike) to make the "next step" up. I've done that this season and blew myself away with a big couple of sport class wins, which prompted me to hop up to expert and stomped all over again.... learning a lot though!

A good week would look like this:

1 (maybe 2 in an off-week) LONG & hard ride; 4-5 hours, mtbike or road. mtbike 25-40 miles, road 75-100

1 day doing fast twitch/hard stuff with good recoveries in between (1-1.5 hrs.)

1 day doing a group road ride, working on tempo. Moderate effort, moderate time in the saddle (1-2 hours-ish)

1 day EASY spinning; 1 hr. Maybe a mello mtbike ride, work on skills and what not.

1 day all-out super hard ride but moderate duration (2 hours)

1 day your option type ride.

Of course, there are infinite variations on all this, it's just my aprx. typ. week. Some harder weeks, some tapered down before big races. If you can ride / train 10-12 hrs a week, you can be in very good shape in a season. More than that and you start getting pretty serious. Postal rides 400-600 miles A WEEK in training! That is sick..... The road bike has the advantage of working on long, sustained efforts at your LT (lactate threshold), and fast group tendencies. Very hard to do on the trails.....

The Friel book is great. The MTN version is OK, but the original "Training Bible" is very clear, if not a bit top-heavy for recreational racing amateurs...

For mtnbiking, did I mention how much a road bike helps? :p

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree... it's not about pretty legs, it's about becoming a better rider. I was speaking generically when I said I wanted to build up the legs... I was assuming that a gain in strength/power comes from increased/bigger muscle fibers (which = greater mass)

I think glenzx is right about more mileage and continuing to push the level further.

ty for the tips

·
The Riddler
1,050 Posts
make sure you build up to big miles though...the week he gave is pretty killer, something i might have at the end of a build phase right before a taper for an important event. I started using friel's mtb bible alot, but now i have the idea and hardly reference it. I am in a transition phase, no riding at all...it sucks but i have a feeling i will be stronger, more rested, more focused, and more hungary at the end. the most important part is doing what works the best for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Longer rides and more intensity

muddog999 said:
Hey training guru's ...need some training-for-dummies info

Thus far this year, the motto has been get-out-and-ride. A week usually includes a few 16-25 mile flat rides at a good clip, a 6-7 mile loop of singletrack with killer climbs, and hopefully a couple 10-12 mile mixed technical rides on the w/e. I've seen definite improvement on endurance & ability (grabbing bigger rings & smaller cogs) but I think I'd see better results with a more defined plan. I love lycra, but were it not for the hairy legs & goatee I'd likely be molested by some ******* seeing these chicken legs coming their way! :rolleyes: How do those pro roadies get such development? are they lifting to ride or just perpetually riding? I would love to gain some mass in my quads/hams.

thnx for any tips, advice or websites that would help...

~mud
(chicken-legs) :p
The description you provide of your riding sounds like a typical enthusiastic Beginner recreational rider. You'll likely continue to see progressive but slow improvements if you continue at that pace. If you want dramatic improvements my experience (though this may not be the experience of others) is that you need some much longer rides as well as some high intensity. A couple of times a month you need to put in a ride that is long enough to make you struggle to finish and followi it with a couple of days recovery so the body can regenerate. Your shorter rides need to be high intensity. Find a group ride with riders at and above your ability. Hang with them as long as you can. These rides will hurt and leave you tired. Ride like this a couple of times a week. Keep a couple of days of moderate pace emphasis on fun semi-technical rides. Depending on your age don't forget to take rest days................older riders need lots more recovery than the 20-somethings. It's lots of hard work if you want to see results but it can be addictive and loads of fun. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.