Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i am just gettting into mountain biking and i am looking for tips on setting seat height- on my old hard tail, it was pretty easy since i just used a formula and then set the fore and aft of the seat.

on my new bike, its more difficult since its a soft tail, plus, since the crankset is higher for ground clearance so the Lemond formula wont work.

i already set my sag etc (motocross background) but i want to get that seat right.

thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the owners manual for my suspension setup (Fox) front and rear, to set the sag according to their specs. As far as the seat, I set it so that I have a slight bend in the knee when I bottom out at the peddle stroke, as from what I was told you dont want to over extend your knee in the peddle stroke or you can hurt yourself. But I think seat height is more of a preference then anything, whatever makes you comfortable and still efficient is where you want to be.

·
Just ride
1,048 Posts
What type or riding do you plan on doing?

XC height is different than if you were going downhilling

for XC, a quick reference height method:
Sit on the saddle up near a wall or have someone hold you up, and sit in a normal riding position. Put the heal of your foot on the center of the pedal and move the pedal to the absolute bottom of the stroke. Then adjust your saddle height until your leg is straight, without your hips rocking downward to reach.
That should put you pretty close

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
679 Posts
There is no one position for your seat. The trail will determine your seat height.
I adjust my seat 3-4 times per ride.
On rocky technical down hill my seat is so low I can stand flatfooted while setting in the seat. As the trail flattens out and for climbing the seat goes up.
hth

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Yeah, the old seat adjustment thread; the question is how can i transfer my electric set adjuster from my car to my bike :)

Like SingleTrackLovr said, every terrain deserves its own seat hight, but for the most part in XC refer to skim1040.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.