Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
These posts are getting more and more suspect... people with basically zero posts asking about a bike from an online retailer...

Whatever, I'll bite.

For $700, yes, it appears to be a nice deal. Tora 302 is nice, Avid Juicy 3's are just middle-range, looks like a Truvativ Isoflow crankset (meh), good shifters and derailleurs, not familiar with the wheelset. There isn't too much info provided via pricepoint.

Depending on if the frame is solid and relatively lightweight, could be a great deal for a frame that appears to be easily upgradable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man im just trying to find out if i should get the bike or not I own a crappy FS from walmart looking to get something better I have about 700-900 to spend I am overweight and out of shape but I really hooked and want something better to ride and cant afford the big price tags this says that it is comparable to a 1500 dollar FS bike just curious if it is gonna be right for me or not and I am not real versed on good bikes versus bad bikes hell i bought a bike from walmart lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad to have you join the forums. I believe that this section is just the area to get you pointed in the right direction.

So please ask all you can, I am sure folks on here will help you with any questions you may have. I am pretty new to these forums myself, but have been biking on and off for many years now.

As far as ordering bikes from online retailers go. It is a matter of preference and what you can afford. Also your mechanical skills should have some bearing in where you buy. ANY bike is a step up from a wal-mart bike, so you are looking and thinking in the right direction.

In general you can find a better deal from an online store compared to your local bike shop. In some cases you can save hundreds over a bike bought from your local shop. But with that said, you are also missing out on the service your local shop can and will provide. So look at the pros and cons on buying online versus a local shop. If your mechanical skill level is average or high I would say go for a bike online, it will save you money. If you are new to the sport and aren't to sure how to work on a bike then I would say spend a little extra or get a little less bike and buy from a local shop.

You will find a heated debate about the issues stated above. But have no worry, AS LONG AS IT GETS YOU OUT AND BIKING I DON'T THINK WHERE YOU GOT YOUR BIKE MATTERS.

Good luck and have fun riding....

·
Registered
138 Posts
clark4411 said:
hey man im just trying to find out if i should get the bike or not I own a crappy FS from walmart looking to get something better I have about 700-900 to spend I am overweight and out of shape but I really hooked and want something better to ride and cant afford the big price tags this says that it is comparable to a 1500 dollar FS bike just curious if it is gonna be right for me or not and I am not real versed on good bikes versus bad bikes hell i bought a bike from walmart lol
Yes, I understand that. I gave you my honest opinion.

The only problem is that as of late, it seems that a lot of very suspicious posts have come across our boards that could very well be these online retailers trying to simply solicit or advertise their product in a pretty unfair manner. So whenever someone asks a very generic question about an online retailer (especially if they are new members), it's a bit odd, to say the least.

Treetalker has some great advice. There are some great values online, but you must remember that you won't get the quality care that many local bike shops provide. I know most bike shops will offer free minor tune-ups for the life of the bike. Or at the very least, they'll provide you with valuable knowledge.

I bought my bike via ebay, and although I certainly don't regret it (in fact, I even recommend it for others), I did so out of necessity due to my budget constraints.

Just to add a bit more, yes, the Sette has a very decent component setup. If your riding is mainly XC or some all-mountain, it should be a solid bike as long as the frame is solid too (that is something I wouldn't be able to determine.) However, if you are doing down-hill or free-ride or other more extreme forms of riding, then no, I think this would be a poor choice. You have to match your bike to what type of riding you intend to do.

If you are very new to the sport, and very new to bike maintenance, then I would be a bit wary of buying online. I taught myself a variety of things, and anyone can learn how to properly maintain and upgrade their bike. However, if you are bona-fide brand new, then a local bike shop will be a valuable crutch as you learn.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
holycrikey said:
The only problem is that as of late, it seems that a lot of very suspicious posts have come across our boards that could very well be these online retailers trying to simply solicit or advertise their product in a pretty unfair manner. So whenever someone asks a very generic question about an online retailer (especially if they are new members), it's a bit odd, to say the least.
what do you expect? people new to the sport with just a few posts to be looking at $5000 custom yetis and turners?

the newbies are always asking about forges and motobecanes and settes and ibexes because they're really cheap, good entry level bikes. people new to the sport just looking for bikes arent going to have a bunch of posts, and they're probably going to be looking at these bikes. it makes tons of sense, people just like to witch hunt.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
To be honest I don't have a clue about that bike, but if you search for the Sette Ace there's an entire thread of people who have built them up and they're happy with them. The linkage is different than the bike you're looking at, but if the Ace was designed well hopefully the XC2 would be designed just as good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.