Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently I have been itching to start doing all my own maintenance on my bikes. The one problem I had holding me back was tools, I didn't have any bike specific tools. I researched most of the tool makers out there to compare price and quality. It's very important for me to have a good quality tool, but like most other things in life, you do pay a lot for a name. So I bought a few tools from Park, thinking I would add as I need them. Well I got impatient and decided to just buy a semi complete tool kit. I figured the Sette stuff would be fine for the price ($100 when i bought it). If it was crap I could just replace what broke or wore out with Park stuff. Well, let me tell you that I'm very suprised at the quality of these Sette tools. They don't feel cheap and work exactly as they should. If you are just casually working on your own bikes and just need basic tools I don't see how you would need something more than this.

http://pricepoint.com/detail/14586-...tand/Sette-Torx-ST-32-Tool-Kit---32-Tools.htm

·
Registered
397 Posts
Doc D said:
Hi,

Recently I have been itching to start doing all my own maintenance on my bikes. The one problem I had holding me back was tools, I didn't have any bike specific tools. I researched most of the tool makers out there to compare price and quality. It's very important for me to have a good quality tool, but like most other things in life, you do pay a lot for a name. So I bought a few tools from Park, thinking I would add as I need them. Well I got impatient and decided to just buy a semi complete tool kit. I figured the Sette stuff would be fine for the price ($100 when i bought it). If it was crap I could just replace what broke or wore out with Park stuff. Well, let me tell you that I'm very suprised at the quality of these Sette tools. They don't feel cheap and work exactly as they should. If you are just casually working on your own bikes and just need basic tools I don't see how you would need something more than this.

http://pricepoint.com/detail/14586-...tand/Sette-Torx-ST-32-Tool-Kit---32-Tools.htm
I got the same kit but bought it half off! Yeah, they work great and are indeed pretty damn strong (I've certainly tested that aspect). Can't go wrong

·
Registered
72 Posts
MRfire, your post has a lot of weight. Thanks.

I'm interested in this kit as well. Please, would someone guestimate the weight for me? I have to ship overseas and weight determines final price. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I just purchased the sette wrench to install a shimano hollowtech bb, and I am really impressed by the aparent quality of the tool. Only time will tell of course but it certainly apears to by well made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought Sette's ST-21. Got tired of going to the LBS to do little odd jobs. This is a very nice toolkit. I concur with the originator of the thread.

http://www.setteusa.com/show.php/Accessories|Tool+Kits|21_tool_kit

Go to www.pricepoint.com - They seem to be the only online retailer for this, and they shipped very quickly.

I've used a few Park Tools, the difference is negligible. Maybe time will tell and bring out the Made in USA vs Made in China in these tools.

·
S&G CREW
267 Posts
Yeah i bought the one that mounts to the wall very study but the complant i have is they have alot of play when locked.Where you can rotate the clamp seems to be made with cheap material and might wear fast but only time will tell.For 65 i think it was it would be good for a home wrencher.I was also impressed with the tools as was seem to be great for the money.

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
I bought the st-14 a while back and it has not let me down... Excellent buy at a very low price!

·
Yo.
465 Posts
springbok said:
...Go to www.pricepoint.com - They seem to be the only online retailer for this....
I believe that Sette is PricePoint's proprietary house brand. You may see similar (or identical) products from other retailers and e-tailers with a different brand name, though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm considering one of the Sette tool kits as well but am skeptical towards it's durability. You'll have to keep us updated as to how they hold up. Although, it'd probably be fine for my occasional wrenching.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I started this thread over a year ago, still using the tools on a weekly basis and everything has held up perfect. Even the most used and abused of the tools looks almost like new. Only tool in the kit I don't use is the pedal wrench, I have a bigger one from Park that works better for me, but it cost almost half what the whole tool kit costs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been thinking of buying a quality, reasonably priced tool kit and after reading all this I think Sette seems the way to go. Does anyone have any advice about which kit to go with, the 21 piece or 32 piece? Are the extra tools I'd be getting worth the current $65 price difference if I already have a chain cleaner? Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought the portable work stand ($90 bucks! How could I resist?). Works great, but I wonder how long the plastic clamp is going to work. Seems to flex a lot under load...the bike really has to be balanced. Other than that, it's been fantastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.