Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have $475.00 to spend. I have a bunch of parts laying around, enough [minus a wheelset] to build up a complete bike. I want a FR bike. I currently have a DH/FR 7/8 fully. but its to the point that upgrading anything...would be more of a waste of money, everything works perfectly and I don't see it braking any time soon.

So, I was thinking of making a FRheavy AM bike. I currently have an Ironhorse Yakuza Hardtail frame laying around. its a nice big bike. but my fork, cannot be used on it. (dont think any DC fork will work due to massive tubeing) also since its so big (23.7TT on a 17" frame) its just a little too uncomferatable for DH/FR. I came across the sette relic. its got 6" of travel from a Manitou Swinger 4 way. they are asking $429.98.

looks like a very nice frame. I know my fork will fit on there just fine. but look at the geometry. its got a TT of 520mm? isnt that like 22" ? and a 610mm EFF so thats like a 24" effective toptube? I sure hope my math is wrong or something. I'm 6'1" I found anything larger than a 23.5 just to be too big, and anything smaller than 22" to be too small. is my math off or something?

also for FR and DH riding, just as a play bike what one should I build? I would just go to building the yakuza, but that means new fork AND new wheelset. where a sette would be frame and a wheelset. {yea, the sette is more expensive. but for FR and heavier do anything bike, I would rather spend the extra cash for 6" of rear suspension possibly. its killing me to have these parts sitting around, I gotta get them on something :p if someone wants, I'll post a parts list of what I have.

thanks guys. for more info on the sette http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14969-175_SETRL5-3-Parts-60-Frames/Sette-Relic-FR-Frame-w_-Manitou-Swinger-Coil-SPV-4-Way-'06.htm

Attachments

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Looks surprisingly legitimate for $450-ish. 5 year warranty sounds appealing if they actually honor it should you break it.

What are you riding now? You said you have a 7"/8" bike, so why do you want a 6" one? If you have the extra stuff laying around and just want it as a secondary goof around bike, then why not? I'd check into Wheel World's deal on the Giant Reign as well.

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
not to jack your thread, but i was thinking about going to a full sus. frame. im currently on hardtail. what im wondering is if im going to be able to make the transition. ive been riding 20" trails and street for about 9-10 years. so im used to the "pop" of a hardtail... and i was also looking and a sette frame....

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Build up the IH

You have $475 to spend, and if you buy the Sette frame you still need a wheelset. If you build up the IH, the $475 should pay for a decent NOS fork, and you still need to buy the wheelset that you would have purchased if you bought the Sette. The other thing to think about is if you buy the Sette frame, the IH frame will still be sitting there calling you to be built, and that means more $$$

Bob

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
You have $475 to spend, and if you buy the Sette frame you still need a wheelset. If you build up the IH, the $475 should pay for a decent NOS fork, and you still need to buy the wheelset that you would have purchased if you bought the Sette. The other thing to think about is if you buy the Sette frame, the IH frame will still be sitting there calling you to be built, and that means more $$$

Bob
no way, if I bought the sette, the ironhorse would be sold.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but yes, as I mentioned this would be my goof around bike. I currently have a Ibex Zone with a 05 shiver on it. its kind of more my serious DH/FR rig, this would be my playbike. eventually when I have the cash, I'd probably put a 6" travel fork on there, like a Z.1 or something. by the looks of my cash, I would be building this up for around $600.00 I'll list the parts it would get.

Frame-sette relic
Fork- Custom Manitou Stance Kingpin TPC+
Cranks- Hussefelt/e-13 bash 22/36
bars/stem Hussefelt
Shifters- Alivio's
FD Alivio
RD Deore
Brakes- Hayes IH2 203mm rotors
wheels- Quando 20mm/singletrack-XT singletrack.

theres just a few of the specs.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
todd_freeride said:
I have $475.00 to spend. I have a bunch of parts laying around, enough [minus a wheelset] to build up a complete bike. I want a FR bike. I currently have a DH/FR 7/8 fully. but its to the point that upgrading anything...would be more of a waste of money, everything works perfectly and I don't see it braking any time soon.

So, I was thinking of making a FRheavy AM bike. I currently have an Ironhorse Yakuza Hardtail frame laying around. its a nice big bike. but my fork, cannot be used on it. (dont think any DC fork will work due to massive tubeing) also since its so big (23.7TT on a 17" frame) its just a little too uncomferatable for DH/FR. I came across the sette relic. its got 6" of travel from a Manitou Swinger 4 way. they are asking $429.98.

looks like a very nice frame. I know my fork will fit on there just fine. but look at the geometry. its got a TT of 520mm? isnt that like 22" ? and a 610mm EFF so thats like a 24" effective toptube? I sure hope my math is wrong or something. I'm 6'1" I found anything larger than a 23.5 just to be too big, and anything smaller than 22" to be too small. is my math off or something?

also for FR and DH riding, just as a play bike what one should I build? I would just go to building the yakuza, but that means new fork AND new wheelset. where a sette would be frame and a wheelset. {yea, the sette is more expensive. but for FR and heavier do anything bike, I would rather spend the extra cash for 6" of rear suspension possibly. its killing me to have these parts sitting around, I gotta get them on something :p if someone wants, I'll post a parts list of what I have.

thanks guys. for more info on the sette http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14969-175_SETRL5-3-Parts-60-Frames/Sette-Relic-FR-Frame-w_-Manitou-Swinger-Coil-SPV-4-Way-'06.htm
Effective top tube is the most worthless measurement of a bicycle you could ever have. Totally subjective to how high your seat is, and if the riding you'll be doing is mostly standing up (ie: FR/DH) then it's completely worthless.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Then buy the Sette

todd_freeride said:
no way, if I bought the sette, the ironhorse would be sold.
I think it's gonna be a decent frame. You can't beat the price, either.

Bob

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just to let you know that these are both the same frame and are Mail Order Frames from Asia. They are legit and both companys selling these frames are good to work with. I know Harvey and he is a great guy. His shop is 45 mins from me. I am just not a fan of Mail Order frames, but for the money you can't beat it. Call and ask for Harvey as he may give you a little better deal if you tell him you are looking at the Seltte too.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
todd_freeride said:
just like Specialized, Kona, Motobecane, Mountaincycle ETC.
Not Exactly. There are some Tiawanese frame catalogs that allow you (a business) to pick a pre-designed frame out of the catalog to build for you and put your company sticker on it.

Companies that probably do this; Sette, Harvey, Motobecane, Ibex (perhaps)
Companies that used to do this: Iron Horse
Companies that definately don't do this: Speialized, Kona, everyone else that designs their own frames and manuf. in Tiawan.

Does this make it a bad frame? Nope. I have a Sette Reken as the winter/SS/racer bike- I love it.

Mr. P

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
todd_freeride said:
just like Specialized, Kona, Motobecane, Mountaincycle ETC.
There's a difference from buying a Taiwanese catalog frame and having your own frame design manufactured in Taiwan.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.