Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
they're new to the market, and not very popular (yet?) so you will have a tough time finding user reviews, and good ones (honest reviews) are even more rare.

They look to have good bang/buck, similar to all other bikes sold online.

The image they portray to me is that they are a online bike store's house brand, and dont really have a heritage/history/R&D in biking. I'd personally look elsewhere. Buying online is also a risk, i'm sure you're already aware of them.

Which sette bike are you looking at, so maybe we can give you other recommendations to compare them to.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
louisssss said:
they're new to the market, and not very popular (yet?) so you will have a tough time finding user reviews, and good ones (honest reviews) are even more rare.
New as in has been on the Market for 7 years. New compared to main stream brands, but not new to the market as you said.

louisssss said:
They look to have good bang/buck, similar to all other bikes sold online.
Correct

louisssss said:
The image they portray to me is that they are a online bike store's house brand, and dont really have a heritage/history/R&D in biking. I'd personally look elsewhere. Buying online is also a risk, i'm sure you're already aware of them.
So since there a newer company you would give them a pass? There frames have tons of R&D, they are all well known designs that have been around for many years and have been used by many companies and have no known weaknesses in the frames like a lot of other mass produced main stream companies that come out with untested new designs every year.

The only risk to online buying is shipping cost. If your bikes breaks you have to send it back to the place you bought it to be fixed...thats the only real downside. Fit of the bike can be done quite well using the sizing charts most places have.
louisssss said:
Which sette bike are you looking at, so maybe we can give you other recommendations to compare them to.
Diddo

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Why do you think buying online is a risk?
You may not like it. I wouldn't buy a bike without riding it, even just a few times aroud the block. There's also the added expense of having the bike assembled and, perhaps, setting up gears/brakes. Obviously these are things that can easily be done by the buyer, but the potential is there for an extra $50 or so on the price of the bike. For new riders, the kind of people who will typically buy unseen/online, the support of a local shop can be priceless.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Dremer03 said:
There (sic) frames have tons of R&D, they are all well known designs that have been around for many years and have been used by many companies and have no known weaknesses in the frames like a lot of other mass produced main stream companies that come out with untested new designs every year.
Really? Would you name just three "mainstream" companies who don't test their product before retailing them. Are you aware of how many Ibex frames had frame faults? Snapping seat-tubes was a known problem with at least one of their frames, which, by the way, are also generic catalogue frames made for multiple brands. If one were to compare failures proportionally with say, Specialized or Giant, I would expect a higher rate of failure in the catalogue frames. Please don't think that I'm saying catalogue frames are dangerous or liable to break, but to say that they are completely without risk of failure is an absolute fallacy.

Dremer03 said:
The word is ditto. It is derived from the Latin dictus, which means "having been said". It's verging on the ironic that you should be unable to spell a word which so aptly describes your primary source of experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
SteveUK said:
The word is ditto. It is derived from the Latin dictus, which means "having been said". It's verging on the ironic that you should be unable to spell a word which so aptly describes your primary source of experience and knowledge.
Ditto Sorry.

SteveUK said:
? Would you name just three "mainstream" companies who don't test their product before retailing them. Are you aware of how many Ibex frames had frame faults? Snapping seat-tubes was a known problem with at least one of their frames, which, by the way, are also generic catalogue frames made for multiple brands. If one were to compare failures proportionally with say, Specialized or Giant, I would expect a higher rate of failure in the catalogue frames. Please don't think that I'm saying catalogue frames are dangerous or liable to break, but to say that they are completely without risk of failure is an absolute fallacy
I did not mean for it to come off they way I typed it. Typically main stream brands come out with new designs every year, correct? Those designs are of course tested by the companies, correct? They still have failures, typically with one specific design that has a weakness, correct? (not saying ALL frames have a weakness, but it does happen) Where as with Sette uses well known, proven designs. I haven't seen or heard from people having frame failures, not there isn't. There have been no topics on MTBR about a Sette Frames Failing. If you know of one, I would be more than happy to change my statement.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
SteveUK said:
Answer my question and I'll answer yours. Fair enough?

Name three mainstream companies who do not test their frame designs before making them available for retail.
I clarified my statement above. I stated they test, but some times they have frames still fail. No reason to get all snappy.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
highdelll said:
Mongoose, Next, Magna :D
ouch, that is very true. Those are main stream bikes :thumbsup:

Clarify that Walmart mongoose bikes are the ones you are referring to? Not sure what a normal Mongoose bike has for a failure rate, but I am sure it is not as much as the Walgoose bike.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I clarified my statement above.
You absolutely did NOT clarify your statement; you completely changed it!! Seriously, you must think I have a double-figure IQ if you think that I'm going to compare your two statements and think "oh yeah, I really misunderstood what he meant".

And don't tell me when there's reason or not to get snappy. Having to devote even five minutes of my time to try and counteract the shite that you continue to spread across these forums gives me plenty of reason to be short with you. You have no idea of the effort I put into just remaining civil with you, so you'll forgive me if every once in a while I get a little tetchy.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
SteveUK said:
You absolutely did NOT clarify your statement; you completely changed it!! Seriously, you must think I have a double-figure IQ if you think that I'm going to compare your two statements and think "oh yeah, I really misunderstood what he meant".
You say potato...

I'm sorry it confused you, I really did not mean it come off like I wrote it.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I'm sorry it confused you, I really did not mean it come off like I wrote it.
You didnt confuse me. You tried to confuse me by babbling crap about what you "really meant", when in fact you were just trying to change your stance without admitting that you were wrong in the first place.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
SteveUK said:
You didnt confuse me. You tried to confuse me by babbling crap about what you "really meant", when in fact you were just trying to change your stance without admitting that you were wrong in the first place.
w00t another topic that will turn into a giant back and forth flame war.

I said SORRY, you cant tell me what I was thinking when I typed it. Lets leave it at that, for the sake of this topic.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Dremer03 said:
w00t another topic that will turn into a giant back and forth flame war.
I'm not flaming. And the only reason it goes back and forth is because you insist on trying to argue a point instead of conceding that you were wrong. You then try to get away with it by muddying the waters of the discussion, incredibly, under the attempted guise of "clarifying" what you meant. "For the sake of this topic", you say, every time, at the point where you should really be saying, even just to yourself, "I got it wrong.". This is your oft-repeated MO, which anyone with half a brain can spot, by the way; and this is why I was so sure that you were just a kid. Its the kind of control drama a 10 year-old would try to use to get away with something they knew they'd done wrong. As fascinating as it it to observe in an adult (apparently), it's also remarkably tedious.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
SteveUK said:
I'm not flaming. And the only reason it goes back and forth is because you insist on trying to argue a point instead of conceding that you were wrong. You then try to get away with it by muddying the waters of the discussion, incredibly, under the attempted guise of "clarifying" what you meant. "For the sake of this topic", you say, every time, at the point where you should really be saying, even just to yourself, "I got it wrong.". This is your oft-repeated MO, which anyone with half a brain can spot, by the way; and this is why I was so sure that you were just a kid. Its the kind of control drama a 10 year-old would try to use to get away with something they knew they'd done wrong. As fascinating as it it to observe in an adult (apparently), it's also remarkably tedious.
If it makes you happy.

I said something wrong, sorry...

Happy now, make you feel like a real "adult" to badger someone until they just dont care and concede the point?

Perhaps the OP should ask his Sette questions in the Sette Forum http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.