Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currenly have an old Kalloy single bolt seatpost. The post comes out of the seat tub and then arcs back at the top where the single bolt is located. The bolt has been slipping so I am thinking about upgrading to a 2 bolt post. It looks like if I go with a 2 bolt post like the Thomason then I might loose a little rearward adjustability of the saddle because the centerline of post is in line with the seat clamp -- it does not arc back like my old Kalloy post. So I am thinking instead of going with a Thomason setback post -- this moves the center of the clamp for the seat about 16mm rearward. So the question is -- does the setback post seatclamp centerline pretty much line up exactly where the centerline of my old kalloy post would be?
I have always felt that my seat could go just a tab further back but my current kalloy post already has it as rearward as possible.

Any thoughts or explaination for me
Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
eman2 said:
Hello,

I currenly have an old Kalloy single bolt seatpost. The post comes out of the seat tub and then arcs back at the top where the single bolt is located. The bolt has been slipping so I am thinking about upgrading to a 2 bolt post. It looks like if I go with a 2 bolt post like the Thomason then I might loose a little rearward adjustability of the saddle because the centerline of post is in line with the seat clamp -- it does not arc back like my old Kalloy post. So I am thinking instead of going with a Thomason setback post -- this moves the center of the clamp for the seat about 16mm rearward. So the question is -- does the setback post seatclamp centerline pretty much line up exactly where the centerline of my old kalloy post would be?
I have always felt that my seat could go just a tab further back but my current kalloy post already has it as rearward as possible.

Thanks

Ed
Here is a link to technical drawings and dimentions for the Thomson setback seat posts. Perhaps this will help you make the comparison you need. There is nothing better than Thomson seatposts.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
other setback posts to check out.
raceface xy (1")
salsa shaft (~.75")
easton EA70 (1-1.5")
moots (~.75") ...sounds like this is similar to your kalloy, although 'tis ti and not cheap.

I haven't tried the moots, but like the salsa's cam action, but not quite enough setback for my use.
XY (old style) only occasional problem is hitting the rear of saddle w/ lots of force (and my clyde rear on a hardtail) sometimes tips the seat up.
EA70- only complaint -it's single bolt, so adjusting is more finicky and not 'infinite' angle adjust since it has teeth.

eman2 said:
Hello,

Thanks

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.