Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up my new TALAS RL. The manual, however, is a little confusing. They recommend a pressure setting of about 70 PSI for my wieght (165 lbs), but go on to say that due to the air hose length coming from my shock pump, the actual reading on the pump may be 10-20 PSI lower than what is really in the shock chamber. Being that the pressure tolerances seem pretty tight (around 5 PSI between weight ranges) I am curious as to how I should accurately set up my shock. There is also something in the manual about sag needing to be around 1 5/16" for a freeride setting, but to achieve this level of sag, I have to run almost no pressure in the fork (around a 25-30 PSI reading on the shock pump) and it almost bottoms out riding on my driveway. Again, the manual is confusing in this area.

Any help is appreciated, as I am relatively new to this and do not know much about what I am doing!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Jasonp said:
I am trying to set up my new TALAS RL. The manual, however, is a little confusing. They recommend a pressure setting of about 70 PSI for my wieght (165 lbs), but go on to say that due to the air hose length coming from my shock pump, the actual reading on the pump may be 10-20 PSI lower than what is really in the shock chamber. Being that the pressure tolerances seem pretty tight (around 5 PSI between weight ranges) I am curious as to how I should accurately set up my shock. There is also something in the manual about sag needing to be around 1 5/16" for a freeride setting, but to achieve this level of sag, I have to run almost no pressure in the fork (around a 25-30 PSI reading on the shock pump) and it almost bottoms out riding on my driveway. Again, the manual is confusing in this area.

Any help is appreciated, as I am relatively new to this and do not know much about what I am doing!
I set my TALAS up by basically adding air until I got to about 25-30% sag. My air pressure is somewhere near 55 or 60 I believe (I weigh 195), and I haven't bottomed mine yet even off some small drops.

At first mine was really sticky, and it took me sitting on the bike for a minute before the fork settled into its travel. After break-in that has since gone away.

My rule of thumb is to set sag at 25-30% and go ride. If you are bottoming, try increasing air pressure as that is really your only option with out compression adjustment.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jasonp said:
(around a 25-30 PSI reading on the shock pump) and it almost bottoms out riding on my driveway.
FYI: If your pump reads 25PSI; you have 25PSI in the shock!

·
Registered
18 Posts
pressure readings

I think you might have mis-read the manual. It means that after you set your pressure, if you re-connect the pump you will then notice a lower pressure than you had previously set.
Ross

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
no matter what shock i have owned including the talas, the manuals are just a reference and have never worked for me...use their recommendations as a starting point and adjust as you go....bring your pump with you for awhile and try different amounts of air and see what you like best...

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Jdub said:
I set my TALAS up by basically adding air until I got to about 25-30% sag. My air pressure is somewhere near 55 or 60 I believe (I weigh 195), and I haven't bottomed mine yet even off some small drops.
A
I'll second those settings. I'm running 60lbs, and I weigh around 185 with gear on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.