Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· from the east
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m about to pick up a used 2016 Fox DHX2 with the “full avalanche tune.” Craig at avalanche says they no longer service/ support this modified shock. Does anybody else touch these things or might I have to dig into it myself?

Thanks!

Eric

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Unless you are about the same weight with the same leverage curve application as the original user, I’d stay far away, even the. It’s not a walk in the park. The shocks aren’t terribly hard to get into, but lots of small parts on the reservoir valving. Fox internals, as in shims, are also imperial sized and that throws a big wrench into it.

· from the east
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha this has been a good gut check. I’m still very curious to try the shock (originally valved for someone very close to my size) because I have an Avy cart in the front, and it’s amazing. But this old bike I can’t justify the cost new.

006_007, I didn’t get a great explanation from Craig, but he alluded to parts availability from Fox.

· Registered
165 Posts
Hahaha this has been a good gut check. I'm still very curious to try the shock (originally valved for someone very close to my size) because I have an Avy cart in the front, and it's amazing. But this old bike I can't justify the cost new.

006_007, I didn't get a great explanation from Craig, but he alluded to parts availability from Fox.
I said we cannot guarantee the service, because of the lack of parts available from Fox for the older models, we can still service DHX2 shocks we tuned, just no guarantee they can be rebuilt if items other than wear items need replacing. If they are worn internally the shock would need to be converted with upgraded(2018-20) internals (the smaller internal tube and piston assembly) and this may not be very cost effective.

· from the east
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Craig,

Thanks for responding here, that clarifies things a bit. I had no concept that it could be rehabbed with new internals if major damage. Still sounds like a risky move unfortunately. Maybe I’ll pick up my email chain with you to inquire about pricing.

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.