Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new RD (my old one inhaled a branch and died) and had some issues with the shifting. It turns out my right shifter is missing a click in the middle of the cassette (one click shifts 2 gears). Before replacing this thing I'd like to try and see if it just needs a cleaning and lube.

I've found this video:
http://bicycletutor.com/rapid-fire-shifters/

But can someone give me some advice on my particular shifter? I know it has 2 or 3 screws on the bottom plate. Do I just take those out to expose the racket system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get the shifter working fine by cracking open the cases and spaying lots of WD40 in there. Lots of gunk came out. And the shifter is smooth like butter now. But I was unable to open them completely with the large silver lever in place. Does anyone know how this lever can be removed? Maybe it cant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I haven't taken 770's apart.
But I have made the mistake of taking some earlier versions...and some road levers.. apart.
You get to a point where it all seems to be going great and you are telling yourself"this isn't so bad".....when SPROING!!! you have parts shooting across the room...and it will never go back together.
You may want to hit it with something like Tri-flow now....WD40 is great for cleaning, but not so good for long term lube.
and put some new cables on there...if your shifters were dirty...your cables are too.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
the mayor said:
I haven't taken 770's apart.
But I have made the mistake of taking some earlier versions...and some road levers.. apart.
You get to a point where it all seems to be going great and you are telling yourself"this isn't so bad".....when SPROING!!! you have parts shooting across the room...and it will never go back together.
You may want to hit it with something like Tri-flow now....WD40 is great for cleaning, but not so good for long term lube.
and put some new cables on there...if your shifters were dirty...your cables are too.
same thing happened to me
flush well with wd40, wait until dry and I used finish line wet lube in a spray can, been fine now for 3 years

·
Registered
353 Posts
To remove the underside black plastic cover, just flex it and rotate it clockwise a little (it will not break) and pull it over the silver lever.

Be sure to remove the gear indicator and to unbolt the handlebar clamp first to make it easier to manage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.