Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in title, the fork will not lock out and the rebound adjust doesn't seem to have any effect on the fork. I pumped the cartridge a few times when I was assembling. It had plenty of resistance when pulling up but none when pushing down. Does this sound right?

I've cycled the fork a bunch but nothing seems to help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rebound adjuster is at the top.

I added 160ml per the guide on the fox website. I lost a little bit trying to pump the cartridge with the cap unscrewed, but not a lot.

Would low oil cause the rebound dampening not to work?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
After assembling the fork, how many times have you cycled it? It can take a Fox a while to refill the damper cartridge and start working again. Usually I'll take the bike outside for a couple minutes and just bounce around the fork and run up a couple curbs.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I think that's the best way to do it. It's easier than removing the knobs. Be sure to drain the damper as well, and then refill it through the hole in the bottom of the lower. Although, you may want to make sure the knobs are installed correctly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, which "knobs" are you talking about? I don't have knobs on the bottom, just the nuts with crush washer. The only knobs are at the top (rebound and lockout lever)

Btw, I filled the right fork from the top, not the bottom, not sure if this makes a difference. That's how they show it on the fox website.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I drained and refilled the oil with 160ml. The lockout now works but the rebound is still not working properly. I did open up the cartridge and take the piston off when I initially serviced, but I assembled everything exactly as it came off. Realized that there weren't any orings or anything I needed to replace in there as far as I could tell so no reason to take it all apart.

Anyone know the rebound piston stack that I could verify against? If I remember correctly, there was the piston bolt, 2 shims, piston with the longer ports toward the bolt, another shim and then the spring. Also verified the shim and spring work as expected after assembly.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
The damper does not need to be opened for service.

If the damper stuck full fast, full slow, or somewhere in between? Does the rebound adjuster still click when turned? Does the rebound adjuster's height change when turned full slow or full fast (it sits higher on full fast)?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was my first service after 5 years so I got the cartridge rebuild kit from enduroforkseals along with seal kit. It comes with a bunch of orings, etc. Thought I would service the cartridge as well while I was in there but quite frankly everything looked fine once I got it opened.

I'm not sure where it's exactly stuck, I think it's pretty much full fast. The rebound clicker clicks and the height does change. Just doesn't seem to have any effect.

One other thing to mention, when I first re-assembled the fork it was really stiff, so I unscrewed the top cap and cycled the cartridge by hand. It was hard to pull up (hence it was working properly). When I put the top cap back on and tried to adjust the rebound it was stuck all the way clockwise (slow). I had to use needle nose pliers and put a little bit of force to get it to turn. It did make a slight popping sound. Like I say it still clicks and stops at end of each direction, rises up and down so...could I have broken or dislodged something?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ha...must be a common problem with us rookies...

Anybody? Maybe I'll break it back down tonight and see if anything looks out of place.
must be a common problem for those of us doing this the first time....because I installed new seals and dustwipers today on my Fox RL and MY lockout is also not working (was working fine before I took everything apart)......

Looking at the directions again.....I think I may have accidentally switched the amounts of oil in the lowers...

regarding your problem with the rebound maybe these two references will help...

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/820-04-127_Rev1.pdf

07 32 mm RL & RLC Cartridge Service

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
When you took out the cartridge, did you loosen the top cap assembly (red box) to drain out the oil? If so, check that part to make sure it is a) securely tightened (no brute force though), and b) it is sitting flush to the top cap assembly, not a part of shim half stuck. Loose or incorrectly sitting top cap creates gap in oil feed line and "leaks" out fluid where it should not be leaking, causing oil to just ooze out and lose rebound.

Attachments

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Disassemble.

Open rebound damper, verify the movement of the rebound needle using the adjuster. Make sure not to over torque the piston bolt. Torque should be 25 in/lbs.

Close damper. Fill with 160 ml of oil, assemble and install the lockout lever properly as to archive the 180 degree turn needed to block the damper. Improper installation of lever will result in no lockout.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Figured out my problem last night, hallelujah! When I had the cartridge open, I was trying to remove the silver piece where the piston attached to get seal head off. I used the rectangular-shaped nut at bottom of cap and a box wrench on the silver piece. The top cap assembly was the one that moved so I loosened it to see if I could get it off that way. I quickly figured it was tied the the rebound, etc so decided to just leave it alone and screwed everything back together. Well, when I went back in last night I noticed that with rebound turned all the way clockwise, a good portion of the escape slot was still open, so I disassembled the top cap and got it straightened out (somehow). My adjuster was only turning about 8 or 9 clicks before so I had something wrong.

All is working well now! I took a few pics while I was in there...they are posted at the link below...

https://picasaweb.google.com/108666563279807559051/BikeSuspension?authkey=Gv1sRgCPTGjaLG3sXCKA

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
must be a common problem for those of us doing this the first time....because I installed new seals and dustwipers today on my Fox RL and MY lockout is also not working (was working fine before I took everything apart)......

Looking at the directions again.....I think I may have accidentally switched the amounts of oil in the lowers...

regarding your problem with the rebound maybe these two references will help...

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/820-04-127_Rev1.pdf

07 32 mm RL & RLC Cartridge Service
Well that would def. do it. If you didn't go into the cartridge or anything you shouldn't have any problems...as long as you turned the lockout adjuster all the way clockwise with the knob.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.