Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This probably should have the title of Marzocchi Z3 fork build. I got the fork for a donated GT and it was so nice I just couldn't do it. So I went searching for a frame. I found an early 90's Serotta T-Max pretty cheap and started to put things together.

It is a little bit of a budget build because I took whatever upgraded parts I put on the GT off the GT... wheels, crank, M900 brakes, seat, Dia Compe PC-11 brake levers and added some stuff I had. I did spend a little because I needed a bottom bracket, added a Cane Creek 40 headset, Sinz (huh???) seatpost, Bontrager bars, grips, Cateye holders, and the 1" Salsa stem. It is running XT derailleurs, STX-RC on the right and the left is a Suntour XCD. Deore DX hubs with Matrix Mt Titan rims (finally found a home) and set up set up as a 2x7.

It rides very nice with pretty quick steering, even with the 70mm fork. The frame size is a 44L so it had a 72 degree head angle. It also moves the wheelbase from a sketchy sub 40" to 41-1/4".

All in all I'm quite happy with it. I've already dumped it, but rider and bike are fine.

John

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle handlebar Bicycle

Blue Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is actually Gamma Hi-Tech tennis racquet grip tape. Tennis grip/baseball grip tape works great because it is durable, cushioned, and comes off easy when it has to be replaced. I used the Gamma because it comes in colors.

John

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's steel. The ebay auction even stated that it wasn't titanium.

I posted a pic of it here when I won the auction and it was suggested that it is a repaint, which I agree with, and the person used what decals he/she could their hands on at the time.

John

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
try it w/ a rigid fork .. it looks like it was designed around a mag21 or no suspension at all. It could ride even better than w/ the zokes. Worth trying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.