Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well looks like I'm out for a while.

I hit a jump from a different angle last night. There are 3 roots right at the peak of the jump and my front tire washed right as I left the ground. I tried to turn the bars to try to correct it on the landing, however I obviously turned them too far and came down with my weight too far forward. My front wheel turned sideways when it hit and OTBs I went. Pretty much knew right away that I had broke my clavicle. So a lovely mile walk back to the truck left me discussed at the fact that I had went down that hard on a lame section of the trail. I drove myself to the hospital and then got to wait in the ER for about 3 hours.

Turns out it was way worse than I expected. I manage to fracture everything you can possibly break in my shoulder, along with of course the broken clavicle. They are trying to get me into an orthopedic surgeon in the next 2-3 days. Luckily, we have an inside connection who is getting me in to see probably the best shoulder guy in the south (if not the best in the country). So, I know I'll be in good hands.

Here is the doctor's actual note about the damage to my shoulder-

1- Fracture Scapula including Depressed/Displaced Articular Surface of Glenoid and Inferior & posterior Scapula

2- Fractured Clavicle

I'm guessing at least 6 months recovery time and a possibility of never being able to ride a rigid fork again:(

Anyone been through a similar experience?

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I injured my shoulder a few years ago but only a small fraction of what you did. I only got a class 1 separated shoulder from where I slid out on a wooden bridge that was super wet. It was about 5 weeks for me to heal up enough to ride.

Severe shoulder injuries such as what you incurred could take quite a while to fully recover. You have to take in consideration the surgery and healing time and then the physical therapy to try to get range of motion in your shoulder as to when you'll be fit to ride again.

Once you get into the PT part of your recovery and get some good range of motion built up and the pain goes away and you can put weight on your arms w/o pain, then you can start asking the doc if he thinks getting on the bike is ok. The thing is you want to make sure that you are sure you are healed up enough to ride and that you take it easy for a while on the bike so you don't reinjure your shoulder.

That's just my two cents. I hope you heal up soon.

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lawson, yeah I'm actually pretty familiar with some of what this in tells. The freaky thing about this is that my mother crashed 3 years ago on the same trail (in a different spot) in a similar fashion. She "best we can figure" came down off a small jump and landed on a fist size rock with the front tire. It washed and she went over the bars and landed on her left shoulder.

She weights about half what I do and was going slower, so she didn't get hurt quite as bad. She had three hairline fractures at the head of the humerus bone. The local orthopedic didn't catch those. So when they were healing up, one of them grew a bone spur in her shoulder socket. Which kept her from getting her range of motion back. It eventually was found and she had surgery to remove the spur. I was around for her recovery.

I however realize that mine is significantly worse.

·
bikeboatbrewski
1,396 Posts
A speedy recovery to you!

Being a paddler also I know all about shoulder injuries and have injuried my left shoulder about 5 times since last winter(skiing). I think I have finally stopped hurting myself.

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
qkenuf4u said:
hey
my PHYSICAL THERAPIST GF is asking why your spine is curved in this x-ray ? is it from the accident ? something else broken that they didnt see ? :confused:
That is actually a pic from the CT scan. I think it's from how I was laying on the table (not standing). I'm going to meet with the best orthopedic surgeon in the area in a couple hours. I'll let you know if it's anything else.

And how extensive the surgery on Thursday is going to be.

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Home from Surgery

Okay guys and gals, one part of the fix is over.

I had surgery Wed morning. The Doc ended up using a plate and some screws to fix the broken clavical. He then lifted the clavical back up to it's original position, which rotated my whole shoulder back in place. Then he came in from my back and used a plate with 2 screws to re-attach the bottom part of the shoulder socket (glenoid). He said they were going to leave the shoulder blade alone, that the 4 fractures in it would heal fine on there own.

I have a post op appointment on the 23rd and we will start physical therapy after that.

Here's what the front of my shoulder looks like now-

Back of my shoulder-

My wife just loved the yellow bracelet they gave me and said they should have gave it to me sooner-

They did however hook me up with a room that had a painting of a MTB trail though-

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
qkenuf4u said:
glad things went well.... nice ice pack...
This Iceman pack is the bomb, getting ready to put it back on right now and crash for the night.

BTW- I had to have another CT scan of my shoulder Mon. I paid attention to how they had me on the table this time. I was all twisted kinda on my back, kinda on my side to get my left shoulder flat in the center part of the curved table. That's why my spin looks so crooked on the CT pic.

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a couple pics with the dressing off to show actual cut size

Sorry if these bother anyone with really light stomachs, as there is a little dried blood shown.

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Report

Today was my post op appointment. The Doc said everything is looking great. I can start moving the arm around and using it for light weight items. They were very happy with how well match the two shoulder socket (glenoid) pieces are now. Also starting physical therapy soon.

Doc said I should be on a bike in 3 months and he gave me the thumbs up to getting on our spin bike!

Check out the new hardware-

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Nitrous,

Good to hear that you're doing well! I'm in the middle of a sleepless night waiting for glenoid repair surgery at 5:30am in the morning. I have a bony Barkart lesion after a full anterior dislocation of the right shoulder, detached about 25% of the glenoid surface. Blew a front tire on a major downhill at about 25mph... The surgeon is going to start the op as a "keyhole" procedure and he will only open me up if it's necessary; I don't think I'm quite as f'd up as you were but the projected downtime is similar which is a drag cause I had a busy race calendar for the next couple months!

Good luck with your recovery!

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sdcadbiker- good luck with the surgery and hopefully they can keep it keyhole. They cut muscle very deep on the back of my shoulder, going in to do the plate on my glenoid. I'm VERY weak now because of that. So I've got a lot of rehab to get those muscles back where they were before the surgery.

Post back up and let me know how it went.

·
It ain't easy being Green
1,208 Posts
Thanks!
The surgery was ok; I have two screws holding the glenoid in place; Dr had to open me up for that but there is only a little keyhole in my back where he repaired the coracoid and cleaned out the "floaters". The shoulder block has worn off but I'm fully loaded with percocet and not feeling much pain yet.

Good news is that I just have a sling rather than a full immobilization and Dr wants me to start "pendulum" exercises straight away.

So far so good!

Here are some basic post-op pix; I'll get the cool internal stuff up later! It's tough doing this with one hand!

Skin Joint Beige Medical Peach

Skin Tattoo Joint Organ Muscle

·
WNC Native
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to hear that things went well, sorry that they had to open you up though.

Yeah I realized when they gave me my first dose of percocet after they removed the pain pump, that I hadn't been hitting the button on the pain pump as often as I should have.

After about 4 days or so I was able to start stretching the time between my percocet doses and was actually able to cut my dosage in half during the day.

It's cool that they have you starting exercises right away, I had to wait two weeks before I could do any kind of exercises.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.