Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My dilemma
1.My front 100mm travel fork has died
2.I have no idea when my 5.25” and new fox will arrive.

No what I need to know
In a past post I read that someone ordered a SB with a 130mm travel fork. When they got the bike and set-up they had received the 4.5” links and shock, but this was put in reverse. As I understand this was done to raise the rear end to accommodate the 130mm fork. This would also higher the bottom bracket. But make the bike ride more natural in this set-up.

I need to make a decision on a fork and was looking at a minute 2 in the 130mm form. As it is one of the lighter 130mm forks on the market “I am very weight conscious”
Now my calculations … correct me if I am wrong.
4.5” rear … with about 9mm sag “as per manual suggestion” that leaves you with 4.14” or rear travel “I assume I am getting full travel”
5.118” with a minute 2 and as I understand I need to run about 20-25% sag on that.
That leaves me with 3.9” that the bike will be riding on.
This then equates to 4.14” rear and 3.9” front potential floating travel … if you guys follow.
I the suspension difference is not that far off, and with the inverted 4.5” links this should be ok?
Anyone have any information on my thinking? Or my lack thereof?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MightySchmoePong said:
Is that measured at the shock or rear wheel? If it's measured at the shock, then you're probably losing close to an inch of rear wheel travel (i.e. 9 mm x leverage ratio)
not a third of an inch.

Dave
That was 9mm at the shock ... first caculation error :(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok , kewl .....

JimBro said:
My bike was set up the 4.5" rockers inverted and a 130mm Minute 2 fork. The bike was level and rode fine. I finally got the 5.25" rockers and Fox shock after 7 weeks.
, and does the bike ride any differnt now ? I mean the angles in regards to stearing ?
were you getting full travel ? . I think I just need confirmation that inverting the links jack the back up enough to give the bike decent stearing , and decent climbing abilities. untill I get my other links

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Sag doesn't change travel

You don't lose travel due to sag. First little bump will top you out so you still get the full travel potential.

Flipping the link steepens the head tube/seat tube angles and raises the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok ..thanks

But at the end of the day I will be able to run a 130mm fork with the rear links reversed and the bike will feel fine ?
I think that is my main concern ..

Homebrew said:
You don't lose travel due to sag. First little bump will top you out so you still get the full travel potential.

Flipping the link steepens the head tube/seat tube angles and raises the bottom bracket.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
DH_WP said:
But at the end of the day I will be able to run a 130mm fork with the rear links reversed and the bike will feel fine ?
I think that is my main concern ..
The older SB is fairly relaxed handling even with a 100mm fork as it was design for. With a 130mm fork, the flipped links will handle much better than the normal link position. Seemed to work out okay for JimBro until he received the newer links.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Homebrew said:
The older SB is fairly relaxed handling even with a 100mm fork as it was design for. With a 130mm fork, the flipped links will handle much better than the normal link position. Seemed to work out okay for JimBro until he received the newer links.
Kewl thanks for all the info ... think I will go ahead and get the Minute 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts