Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just came in from a long river ride and when i got home and rolled my kikapu into the shed there was some serious squeaking going on. actually it did some squeking this past week-end also and i took it to the shop. they adjusted the calipers and it stopped for a short while but now it's just crazy. any ideas. if it's any help my wheels are mavic enduros.:confused: :idea:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Dry, unlubed pivots would be my first bet.

I drop some triflow in there every now and then. That attracts more squeaky dirt, of course. This winter I reckon I'll pull the rear apart so I can clean and regrease everything.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I'd be willing to bet a lot that it has nothing to do with the pivots. I have never heard a pivot squeak. Sounds to me like it's his brakes rubbing the rotors, considering it made the noise when he was just rolling it into the shed and not riding it.

Check to see if the rotors are out of true and that the calipers are aligned properly. You can do this by putting the bike in a stand and spinning the wheel while looking downwards on the rotor. If it moves side to side then you know its bent (obviously) and can bend it back with some pliers.

To align your calipers loosen the allen bolts that bolt them to the frame/adapter and then squeeze the lever nice and firm, while squeezing tighten up the bolts little by little alternating between the bolts until they're at the proper torque.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You've never heard a noise come out of a suspension pivot? After reading the original post again, I agree I'm full of it.

Sometimes with disc brakes, the space between the pads and the rotor is tight enough that a little water or a grit can make a god awful noise even when they were ok when you were riding in dry conditions.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Be careful with how much you lube your pivots. The different lubes can actually break down the grease in the bearings and make the pivots sound and feel worse.
What kind of hubs are they some hubs have little rubber boots the make noise also.
Also clean you rotors and pads with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The only bearings are in the main pivot on the rocker. I don't lube those as they are sealed. The rest of the pivots are bushings which should take some kind of grease if I weren't too lazy to get in there and grease them up. This is why the Turners have grease ports on the pivots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.