Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there,

I just got a set of XO triggers, and really like them except that i find the front is really sensitive when shifting from big to middle. it feels that i've hit the lever once, but i end up in the granny. it's not an adjustment issue, as it runs perfectly in every other situation (upshifting, full range of cluster without rubbing etc). btw it's mated to an X9 front der.

I've taken the cover off and had a look, it seems to be fine, no bent or mis-alligned ratchet arms, am i just being maladroit?

anyone else had this, or is there fix (beside being less ham-thumbed...)

cheers,

C

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sounds like the cable is too tight.

Or if it's not a cable and it does indeed go from the middle to the inner missing the middle the gearing inside could be broken, it's just little teeth that interlock really.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thought about that, but the cable is pretty lose in granny and the tension is set so that an extra 1/4 turn increase makes the chain rub in middle ring/lowest rear.

is there a way of decreasing the spring tension of the derallieur? failing that, i'll start from scratch and totally readjust the front shifting.

cheers...

c

·
Registered
959 Posts
Tiffster said:
Sounds like the cable is too tight.
if he's trying to shift from big to middle, and it's jumping straight to granny i'd say it's more likely the cable tension is too low, ie. it's loose. it sounds like the derailleur is throwing too far in when you shift down.

turn the barrel adjuster at the shifter anti-clockwise a 1/4 turn, test, 1/4 turn, test etc. etc. or just undo the cable clamp bolt and pull some more cable through and do it up. then play with the barrel adjuster to fine tune.

of course if the shifter is faulty none of that will fix the problem. when you attempt to shift from big to middle and the chain goes straight to granny is there still another click in the shifter. ie. if you press the same lever on the shifter again will it release more cable, make another click...if not then there is something wrong with the shifter.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My guess is that A) your cable tension is too low causing the jump over the middle ring when downshifting and B) your FD is not aligned properly with the chainrings thereby causing the rubbing which you have improperly compensated for with cable tension.

Start by checking your FD alignment. The outer plate should be parallel to the chainrings. The bottom edge of the outer plate should be about 3mm above the teeth of the big ring with no cable tension and the L limit screw adjusted properly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there isn't another click in the shifter. here's the scenario:

i'm riding in the big ring, and go to shift into the middle. i tap the down shift trigger, and the chain and derallieur bypass the middle and drop into the granny.

it doesn't happen all the time though which is just as frustrating because i try to replicate it in the stand at home and it doesn't do it.

another symptom showed up the other day.

upshifting from granny to middle: push the paddle, shifts up fine. go to shift to big ring, the lever pushes all the way forward without resistance, and no shifting.

methinks the shifter be stuffed, which is disappointing. just new aswell.

c

1 - 7 of 7 Posts