Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a back up set of wheels (Stans Flows, on Hope Pro II (F)/ Hadley (R))
I took the hubs off my old 26er and used them and cassette, brakes.

I'd like to use them to ride roads/climbs in my neighborhood and area.

I figured a semi slick would be last longer and roll better than my nevegals and rampage that I currently roll.

What do y'all like?

Here's 2 I found, but the conti is twice as much as the apple....

Schwalbe Big Apple 29r Tire $35

Continental Top Contact $70 (which size to get...what equates a 29er?)

Any other suggestions?

I'm tempted to go with the Apples.

Can't resist...
How you like them apples....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
eokerholm said:
Just picked up a back up set of wheels (Stans Flows, on Hope Pro II (F)/ Hadley (R))

I figured a semi slick would be last longer and roll better than my nevegals and rampage that I currently roll.

What do y'all like?

Any other suggestions?

Can't resist...
Both are very good road tires (not semi slicks).

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
not semi slick but ok for road/commute-i used some Michilien in 47mm-in SC,dont remember which model,but held up to charlston sc-lots of crap and glass on the roads-and my ride was ghetto/industrial-with 5 railroad crossings each way!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Get some Kenda Small Block 8's. You can crank the pressure to 80psi - they roll great on the roads with small, tight tread while being a lot more "comfortable" that more road based options. If you want to ride them on a trail, drop the psi some, and you're good to go.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RacerX.29 said:
Get some Kenda Small Block 8's. You can crank the pressure to 80psi - they roll great on the roads with small, tight tread while being a lot more "comfortable" that more road based options. If you want to ride them on a trail, drop the psi some, and you're good to go.
Semi Slick or commuter, minimal tread, all good. I'm looking for tires used for road/commute and neighborhood riding...:) (I ain't commuting, but using this for road riding/hill training, etc.).

Not intended for trail.
I have the "real" set up for that.
36 Hole, Flows, Hadleys for my "Dirty" set :thumbsup:

Can you run the SB8's tubeless with that much PSI???? Will they fit on Stans Flows? or Do I need to tube them?

Do they last?
I've seen issues with the Kendas lasting long on the road, or trails, here in Austin.
DTC is better than StickE for me, and a lot lighter.....

·
It's always greener
290 Posts
The Big Apples (I have the 2.35) are awesome tires. Since they're on a 29er, with finesse, you can ride them off road, they have a great feel on road, you can lean them over and carve...on the trails, it forces you into loading the tire with care and to pick just the right line.

They're heavy, but roll like a champ.

·
Registered
208 Posts
eokerholm said:
Semi Slick or commuter, minimal tread, all good. I'm looking for tires used for road/commute and neighborhood riding...:) (I ain't commuting, but using this for road riding/hill training, etc.).

Can you run the SB8's tubeless with that much PSI???? Will they fit on Stans Flows? or Do I need to tube them?

Do they last?
I've seen issues with the Kendas lasting long on the road, or trails, here in Austin.
DTC is better than StickE for me, and a lot lighter.....
Can you run that PSI? In a word, yes. I use a pair on my "road/training/goofing off around the neighborhood" wheels, and I generally run 70 to 80 psi in them. I'm using tubes since my "road" wheels are Reynolds Topo 29ers & I'm not sure how well they'd do tubeless.

Now that I think about it, if you're using Stan's, I don't think they recommend going that w/ a high a PSI on their rim, but the tires are definitely good at level. I'll defer to Stan's users, or suggest you just do some experimenting.

3,617 Posts
eokerholm said:

What do y'all like?

Any other suggestions?

Can't resist...
I have a set of Top Contact in 47c, which i think is about 1.75"

i also use Vulpine 2.1's they rock!

vulpines have a thiner tread
the Top Contacts have a thicker inverted tread pattern

on the pave, and in the city, the Top Contacts are awesome
the vulpines, i'm always paranoid around any road debris

·
Registered
662 Posts
simplton said:
Specialized Borough

I've seen them on the Spec. cross bikes and the seem pretty slick....

cheers,
scott
I've got the Boroughs (29x1.9 version) and they're nice... but I've been trying to get them to hold air tubeless on Bonty Duster TLR rims with little luck .. the sidewalls are just too porous and there are constant leaks developing ... I'm just going to get some slime tubes for them.

They're a good tire for mixed stuff as the side knobs are surprising... they don't seem super tough though... on/off road touring I'm a bit suspect of them...

I think they have an armadillo version of the 'cross tire in a 700x42... narrower but tougher.

I'm still looking for a good tubeless semi slick... I may try the Vulpines next.

S

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Do you guys run the 2.35 or the 2.0 for a 29er? Universal Cyles out of the 2.3s but has the 2.0 in stock.
The serfas are 26ers....

I have a Stan's Flow rims.

They have the following Max Pressure listed:
Maximum Tire Pressure
2.0 tire 40psi
2.3 tire 38psi

Is that going to be enough pressure to ride on the street/neighborhoods? (again I'm not off roading; maybe some crushed granite neighborhood trails)

I guess I could go tubed, since these wheels are for road only and are my back up set, should something happen to my 36 Hole variety of Flows with full Hadleys.

I bet I could run higher pressure, tubed as the tires take up to 50 PSI.

Do you need it that high on the roads? I'm not racing, just using the tires to roll thru the neighboroods and do 20+ miles or so, sometime with some major climbing.

just trying to save my thread on my real MTB set of Nevegals and Rampages.....

Pricepoint has 2 versions of Vulpines for $37 and $40
Hideous Green Lined Kevlar
or
full on black for $40

I don't see a difference, but would probably pay the $3/tire not to have the green line.....

Thanks for the input!
Erik
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
eokerholm said:
Do you guys run the 2.35 or the 2.0 for a 29er? Universal Cyles out of the 2.3s but has the 2.0 in stock.
The serfas are 26ers....

I have a Stan's Flow rims.

They have the following Max Pressure listed:
Maximum Tire Pressure
2.0 tire 40psi
2.3 tire 38psi

Is that going to be enough pressure to ride on the street/neighborhoods? (again I'm not off roading; maybe some crushed granite neighborhood trails)

I guess I could go tubed, since these wheels are for road only and are my back up set, should something happen to my 36 Hole variety of Flows with full Hadleys.

I bet I could run higher pressure, tubed as the tires take up to 50 PSI.

Do you need it that high on the roads? I'm not racing, just using the tires to roll thru the neighboroods and do 20+ miles or so, sometime with some major climbing.

just trying to save my thread on my real MTB set of Nevegals and Rampages.....

Pricepoint has 2 versions of Vulpines for $37 and $40
Hideous Green Lined Kevlar
or
full on black for $40

I don't see a difference, but would probably pay the $3/tire not to have the green line.....

Thanks for the input!
Erik
:thumbsup:
If that's like the green line on ExiWolf tires, you barely see it in real life, especially once you ride it a few times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.