Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recent SPAMing going on, both with and without ad's, I got to wondering if there is something about 29er folks in general that makes us more of the spamy-type.

I know that I personally have an issue in this area, and my therapist says I'm making good progress on that, but here's my theory:

29ers are comparatively new, and as such, availability and diversity of parts, specifically in the area of forks, frames, and wheels is the most urgent and pressing concern to us all. We are captivated by searching for them, buying them, selling them, trading them, looking for whats new (if anything), what's available, what's not, etc....more so that most of the other boards....

On a related note did I mention I have some ______ for sale??

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Related late-breaking thought:

What if we had 1 single SPAM thread...anyone could put any SPAM in there anytime, but it must be only in the SPAM thread.....every week or so, Cloxx could go in there and delete out the older threads, insuring download times are not bulky....

Most out of the box I've had today!!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I'm affraid this forum is in a way victom of it's success. After my own website going offline, the world againwas without a single 29" web-based hangout. MTBR provided us one, and it's members gave it the 99.99% monopoly. Spamming on here offers about the same success odds as that, for the above mentionned reasons.

Theory #2 : 29" riders are retards. Interest span of about 2 rides, then we need new parts already. I even know one tragic case who is tired of his new stuff even before brown santa stops before his door... ;-)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
MTBR has thought of and tried all spam options by now. One thing is clear : to pay the $$$$$ webspace and bandwidth costs, they can't offer a free classifieds section. That would be like Google.com giving away shares and banner space.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Maybe some interested person could set up a pair of Yahoo mail accounts or leftover addresses from their ISP.

One, folks would mail with 29"er crap they have for sale, price & contact info, which could be made into a list and updated regularly. [email protected]

The other would auto reply said list whenever someone emailed it, i.e. [email protected]

Be real easy to (non-offensively) add one of those addresses to a sig file and maybe even share the password among a couple of board regulars to even out the task of updating the list regularly.

Bill Larsen, watch out!

·
Registered
215 Posts
why are.....

we willing to spend a gazzillion $ to get the latest greatest custom this or that and then too cheap to spend $2 on a classified to sell it?

Keep the board open, spend $2.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Rockdogger said:
make it look like I was responding to your post, meant to respond in general to the thread. Cheers
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but on the rare occasion I delve in to MTBR's classifieds, I'm overwhelmed by the clutter and quickly scamper back to ebay.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree with that... I've also tried 29er pertinent searches that yield 100's of results!

I also admit that I fall into Cloxxki's Theory #2.

Speedüb Nate said:
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but on the rare occasion I delve in to MTBR's classifieds, I'm overwhelmed by the clutter and quickly scamper back to ebay.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cloxxki said:
Theory #2I even know one tragic case who is tired of his new stuff even before Brown Santa stops before his door... ;-)
Obviously I have no idea who you're talking about....

Ok Cloxxki (GREGG, listening?), lets step up the plate, put a 29er catagory in the classifieds....It's TIME...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ncj01 said:
Ok Cloxxki (GREGG, listening?), lets step up the plate, put a 29er catagory in the classifieds....It's TIME...
I mean, crikey, if there's a Single Speed section, there has to be a 29er section....

·
29 inches and Pissed Off!
693 Posts
Isn't this thread Spam?

Actually I like looking at the Spam on this and the SS board. I do agree, MTBR should have search critiria like Ebay.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think that it is fine the way that it is

Put an ad in the classified for a couple bucks--let everyone know with a new thread. People will read it and check it out if they want, or not, if they don't. It isn't like there are too many posts on the board that it drowns everything else out. This board is, imho, the single best and perhaps only place that there is 29 only info. I rarely visit the other forums, and I look forward to guys letting us know that there is used stuff out there. Even if someone ebay's something, i would think that spending the $2 to put an ad in mtbr classified would be more than worth it.

I just think sometimes cloxxi is a little quick with the axe on spam moderation.

·
Registered
548 Posts
posting stuff for sale versus spam

Cmon. For the privledge of having this board (not to mention the trail database that I use extensively when I travel) $2 an ad isn't a lot. If you want. Post the ad in the classifieds (also refer to your ebay ad) and then go crazy posting it in this and the clydesdale section.

yes the classifieds could be run better but its $2 lousy bucks!!!

John Voss
Miami FL

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Yah, I agree there. sifting through the MTBR classifieds is a nightmare. There needs to be a 29" section now. Are you listening Gregg?

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah, that engine is junk

Captain Kana said:
Actually I like looking at the Spam on this and the SS board. I do agree, MTBR should have search critiria like Ebay.
When a person searches the classifieds they/we get SPAM'd every time. Try it, search for something, anything, and you'll see what other non-related iems appear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Spam Yes

Heck, one of the reasons I check into this forum regularly is to see if there are any good deals out there among us. Without this "spam" I'd check far less often. What better place to let people know of some 29er-related item? I don't check the classified very often because it's a total mess. A link here gets my attention, though. I don't call it spam at all, but just a matter of using this forum to let our fellow 29er fans know there are products available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts