Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have ridden while pregnant so i'm hoping you can weigh in with some much needed opinion.

My sister is pregnant with her second child. During her first pregnancy she ran about 3 miles 4-6 times a week until her 7th month with no problems whatsoever. In fact she had a really easy pregnancy.

Now she is 11 weeks pregnant and is spotting. She is getting conflicting advice as to whether to stop, slow down or continue running. She has also found conflicting advice on the internet as to what to do.

So my question is really for those of you who were very active during your pregnancies, did you have any similar problems and what did you do? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

PS. I don't know if this would matter, but there was only about 4 months between the birth of the first child and conception of the second.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well is the conflicting advice coming from her doctor or other people? I really think she needs to check with her doctor and listen to him/her.

Then again I hear all sort of crazy stuff goes on down there when you're pregnant.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
This is one area where for sure I would not take internet advice. I assume she's under the care of a physician, and I'd follow thier recommendations. Either that or get a new OB. It could be nothing, or she could lose the baby. Why take any chances? I've had two and I trusted my docs and midwife completely. If she doesnt trust the advice of her doctor, she needs to get a new one, not get advice from untrained strangers on the net.

formica

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
formica said:
This is one area where for sure I would not take internet advice. I assume she's under the care of a physician, and I'd follow thier recommendations. Either that or get a new OB. It could be nothing, or she could lose the baby. Why take any chances? I've had two and I trusted my docs and midwife completely. If she doesnt trust the advice of her doctor, she needs to get a new one, not get advice from untrained strangers on the net.

formica
I agree. Bleeding can be the sign of something not compatible with exercise. She needs to get professional advice from someone who can examine her and run tests.

·
grasso e lento
410 Posts
Get real advise from the OBGYN

Ok I am not a doctor but my wife and I somewhat of an experience like this.

Well my wife is very active and when she was pregnant with our second she kept up her routine just like with the first one. After several weeks she had a lot of blood flow and we thought something was wrong. We went to the doctors and they told her to take it easy for about a week or two. She didn't work out for two weeks and everything cleared up. They explained it us as since she had the first one the body adapts to being pregnant faster with each child after. The increased blood flow can cause this because of the thinning of the veins. After she had taken sometime off she got back into kickboxing and was doing it actively up until the birth of our daughter... hahaha she was on a 14 mile hike the morning of having to go to the hospital...

Man my wife is awesome. why she chose me to be her mate I will never know.....

-Dude

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I wasn't quite clear.

She is getting conflicting advice from doctors.

She lives in Edmonton where her doctor has told her that everything is fine, but when visiting her inlaws in Cape Breton, Nove Scotia she had another episode of spotting. She went to another doctor who told her she should stay in bed and only move when necessary (I'm exagerating but not by that much).

The internet sites she went to were reputable site of the WebMD variety.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
jakey said:
. She went to another doctor who told her she should stay in bed and only move when necessary (I'm exagerating but not by that much).

The internet sites she went to were reputable site of the WebMD variety.
that's pretty old school advice. If it were me I would go with what my doctor with whom I had a relationship with, not someone who didn't know me, or my history. You know, go home and see your regular guy....

edit: I guess if I got conflicting or weird advice when I was out of town, I'd use the phone and call my primary and see what they said. They do have phones in Canada, don't they?

formica

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know why!

Dude said:
Man my wife is awesome. why she chose me to be her mate I will never know.....

-Dude
Well, duckman says we all look just like our avatars, so I'd have to say that explains why your wife picked you. ;)

·
Still chuggin' along
863 Posts
Based on the experiences of having 4 children, Dude's write-up pretty much sums up what my OB/GYN explained to me when the same thing happened with my second pregnancy (which was only 5 1/2 months after my first was born). I took it easy for a couple of weeks, then continued to play soccer and basketball until I was six months pregnant with no more issues.

·
grasso e lento
410 Posts
WOW kpicha

A domestic engineer I suppose with four two legged food dispensers... How on earth do you find time for yourself?? Oh now I think I understand how Duct tape got invented...

Our OB/GYN specifically told us that you shouldn't change your normal lifestyle but just modify it. I am proud to say that my wife did the right thing by taking it easy and we now have a diaper dispensing machine in our house again.

MidAtlanticXCer
If I looked like that I would be a happy happy man..
:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts