Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as we (COMBA BoD) are planning & plotting for the year, it is becoming evident that finding suitable locations for meetings and whatnot could be a challenge.

for some of these mini-events, if you will (whether public or private), it would be nice to have the option to legally serve (not sell) beer, should a certain beer sponsor wish to donate. so that rules out a bunch of stuff, like government (jeffco) buildings and most restaurants/hotels, as they'd prefer to sell you their booze.

don't suppose anyone here owns a cool warehouse-type space in western jeffco and could use a potential tax-deduction? :) or could arrange access to a large conference room?

beer service notwithstanding, please contact me w/ any suggestions, large or small, and i'll add them to the list of resources. thanks.
t e r r y @ c o m b a . o r g

P.S.
look for first COMBA announcement here early next week.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thin mints or do-si-dos?

nOOby said:
what about your basement?
just for that sarcastic remark, you're gonna have to buy a *case* of girl scout cookies from your niece... ;)

(and if anybody else wants to stockpile, let me know... my wife & i both being self-employed doesn't much help our daughter's fundraising efforts)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I would save the beer for social events and keep the official board meetings dry. It will not only open more possibilities for locations, but it lends a bit of professionalism to the organization.

I have been to various meetings at the Golden Library and it works fine. I would guess you could get space at the Jeffco offices also.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
gotdirt said:
as we (COMBA BoD) are planning & plotting for the year, it is becoming evident that finding suitable locations for meetings and whatnot could be a challenge.

for some of these mini-events, if you will (whether public or private), it would be nice to have the option to legally serve (not sell) beer, should a certain beer sponsor wish to donate. so that rules out a bunch of stuff, like government (jeffco) buildings and most restaurants/hotels, as they'd prefer to sell you their booze.

don't suppose anyone here owns a cool warehouse-type space in western jeffco and could use a potential tax-deduction? :) or could arrange access to a large conference room?

beer service notwithstanding, please contact me w/ any suggestions, large or small, and i'll add them to the list of resources. thanks.

P.S.
Sounds like you may need to have a certain beer sponsor help you find a space. For board meetings, it might be easier to byob for the volume you'll be imbibing. Generally, you might try hotels w/restaurants. They usually have some sort of conference room, and if they won't serve you there they'll usually allow you to take food and beverage to a meeting room.

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
gotdirt said:
just for that sarcastic remark, you're gonna have to buy a *case* of girl scout cookies from your niece... ;)

(and if anybody else wants to stockpile, let me know... my wife & i both being self-employed doesn't much help our daughter's fundraising efforts)
haha, ok. do they make em without transfats?

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
gotdirt said:

P.S.
JeffCo space is free to non-profits. No need to have booze at a scheduled association meeting and the insurance nightmare for the space is crazy. Besides, you are supposed to be making good decisions on behalf of your membership. You should do that in sobriety.

TE meets at JeffCo and then stops at a local joint after the meeting.

·
I can't ride 45!
1,158 Posts
The meeting room would be used for membership social gatherings, like the upcoming annual meeting. It would be nice to have a space where a free drink can be offered to members and guests at social events.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies...

just to clarify, these "meetings" i'm referring to, above, are not the BoD meetings. we recognize COMBA is not a drinking club :)rolleyes:); however, there are a couple of planned events/meetings, for guests, where it would be nice to offer a cold beverage.

fwiw, we're also trying to be fiscally responsible w/ funds, thus my reluctance to have to pay for space. jeffco is an option and has been utilized, though they are undergoing renovations this year and availability will suffer. plus they have a once-per-month limit, and in some cases that won't work for us (we plan to keep busy this year ;)).

hotels have premium rates, and even our 501c status hasn't been enticement enough to help. ironworks (or other such places) doesn't really lend well to focused discussion, amid TVs and the banter of those around you (and who knows, that person at the next table could be president of DESTROY ALL BIKES club). i'll check again into libraries, though they charge as well (or so i've been told).

steady, thanks for the rec center suggestion. i'll look into that.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
gotdirt said:

just to clarify, these "meetings" i'm referring to, above, are not the BoD meetings. we recognize COMBA is not a drinking club :)rolleyes:); however, there are a couple of planned events/meetings, for guests, where it would be nice to offer a cold beverage.
OK. That's different. I think you will probably have to have someone offer their home for a night. Once you bring alcohol into a space it becomes an insurance issue that most "public" meeting areas will not go for.

You could also try making a small donation to another entity that has a space and ask for some room every now and then. The CTF, the Unitarian Church, etc.

1,328 Posts
This isn't in the geographical location you're looking for and I have no clue about their alcohol policies but there may be something similar down that way. In the past, my wife has used both Sill-Terhar Ford and O'Meara Ford as they both have(had?) free meeting spaces/conference rooms available for seemingly anyone to use. I don't know much more than that but would be happy to ask if you'd like more info.

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
gotdirt said:

Yeah, I haven't quite understood all the responses about alcohol. I was a member of Sorba back east. We always met at a restaurant, ate, had a few beers, made a good time of it while getting things done.

Food and beer always brings the masses folks!:thumbsup:

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Check with Golden Rec Center about charity meetings.
When it gets warmer, we can do this along the creek somewhere in Golden, or any park.

GCB is only a walking distance away.

Also, what about the Colorado mountain center? Would they be able to help?

and I agree about the beer. it would be nice, but we can always get a post-gathering-group together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.