Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated below with more incredibly amateur photos.

I wanted to try to take some pictures of Tiffany Falls. I rode my bike there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I actually go by there every day on the way to school. The waterfall is just a couple hundred meters from the road. Every once in a while I stop by and enjoy it.
Great photos RKJ.

If you go a little further uphill, near the Old Ancaster Mill, Sherman Falls is located. The trailhead is on Lions Club Road. It is another of the fantastic falls located in the Hamilton area. Hamilton also being known as the Waterfall City.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you go a little further uphill, near the Old Ancaster Mill, Sherman Falls is located. The trailhead is on Lions Club Road. It is another of the fantastic falls located in the Hamilton area. Hamilton also being known as the Waterfall City.
Yup, Sherman Falls is also incredibly accessible. It's right off the road, and flows pretty well most of the year. Waterfalls make a nice destination for a bike ride. I sometime look at the Hamilton Cycling Map, pick a waterfall, and ride to it.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I especially like this one, just a little dark imo. If it was mine I would tweak it a bit.
Don't mind at all. Can you explain the changes you made?

I shot that during the last minutes of daylight. Ideally I would have gotten there a few minutes sooner. Exposure time was 2.5 seconds on that one.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BCD, using your re-touch as a guide, I got something pretty close. A bunch more saturation, more shapness, more brightness, more contrast, and a small tweak of the levels adjustment. Still not quite the same though, and I've blown out some the highlights in the waterfall near the top.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Don't mind at all. Can you explain the changes you made?

I shot that during the last minutes of daylight. Ideally I would have gotten there a few minutes sooner. Exposure time was 2.5 seconds on that one.
you pretty much got it! because it was dark i pulled the levels up a bit, which reduces contrast. brought the contrast up plus a bit of saturation to add punch. it took more saturation than i would expect but i think that's probably due to limitation of a P&S sensor. and i always sharpen a bit as digital out of the box is always too soft, and because i have old eyes ;)

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Still not quite the same though, and I've blown out some the highlights in the waterfall near the top.
you can always work on selected sections independently to avoid blown hilights. although i didn't on your pic i often do on my own because i hate blown highlights! and nothing looks worse than a sky full of clouds that look paper white. i try to expose the shot as much as possible to avoid that, preferring dark shadows elsewhere instead if having to choose. the dark shadows usually add visual interest and punch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.