Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 1997 Gitchee Goomie w/ no suspension. It's held up really good but its time to get a new one. I was wondering if Gary Fishers are still one of the better quality bikes you can get. Once I got my bike 7 years ago I stopped looking at diff brands and just rode it:) So I'm kinda lost now as to if GF is one of the better deals out there.

I'm looking to spend 3-500 dollars on a bike. I want at least front suspension...full would be sweet but I can't afford a sugar. Any suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
garyfnewbie said:
Well I have a 1997 Gitchee Goomie w/ no suspension. It's held up really good but its time to get a new one. I was wondering if Gary Fishers are still one of the better quality bikes you can get. Once I got my bike 7 years ago I stopped looking at diff brands and just rode it:) So I'm kinda lost now as to if GF is one of the better deals out there.

I'm looking to spend 3-500 dollars on a bike. I want at least front suspension...full would be sweet but I can't afford a sugar. Any suggestions?

thanks
Fisher makes excellent bikes now. Trek brought the company and put <?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:City u2:st="on"><U1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=Gary</U1:p</u1:City></st1:City></ST1:p back in charge. But I strongly suggest you test ride one. The Genesis Geometry is not for everyone. I ridden my buddy’s Fisher couple of times and I couldn’t get use the geometry. It just doesn’t work for me.

If you’re on budget, look into a Giant. They the best bang for your buck. They tend to have better components then their competitors in almost every price range.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
301 Posts
Pancake said:
Hi, if you want a cheap bike with full suspension the raleigh ram 1.0 might be something for you, it also has disk brakes. My local bikeshop sells them for about $550 I know that it is a bit over your budget but it might just be worth it.

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=12&itemid=211&va=0
The problem with FS bikes at the level is the low end components, especially the rear shock. Most of these bikes are not going to be efficient. They tend to produce a lot pedal bob.

IMO, it would be wiser to spend $500 on HT with mid-range components, then a FS with all low end components.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I also am thinking that for the money im willing to spend, a HT will be best cause of the better components. I looked at a '04 marlin today, w/ the genesis geometry, it was pretty nice...if they can find a 19.5 frame i might get that.

I tell ya what tho, I have been riding my friends 4300 lately, and it is nowhere near as fun to ride as my old gitchee goomie w/ no suspension. It's too bad treks and GF'ers are so much alike now...but maybe that genesis will make it better to ride.

Oh and I'm still looking into Giants....they look decent...now i just have to find a dealer!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Raleigh?

A local dealer has Raleigh and Giant. I was looking at the '04 Giant Yukon and '04 Raleigh M60, both priced between $430 and $460. Any specific comments on either bike? I'm looking to upgrade from my '94 Schwinn Moab to something with front suspension and either disc brakes, or at least disc brake capable. (I don't really need them, but I'm a gearhead and I think they're really neat.)

My riding is pretty much recreational with the family on bike trails, I'm going to try some single track on my own... no aspirations toward any type of racing. I've looked at some of the hybrid/comfort models, but I'm not ready to go there yet

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
301 Posts
gubawatts said:
A local dealer has Raleigh and Giant. I was looking at the '04 Giant Yukon and '04 Raleigh M60, both priced between $430 and $460. Any specific comments on either bike? I'm looking to upgrade from my '94 Schwinn Moab to something with front suspension and either disc brakes, or at least disc brake capable. (I don't really need them, but I'm a gearhead and I think they're really neat.)

My riding is pretty much recreational with the family on bike trails, I'm going to try some single track on my own... no aspirations toward any type of racing. I've looked at some of the hybrid/comfort models, but I'm not ready to go there yet

Thanks for any comments.
Couple years ago when I was looking for a new bike, a Raleigh M80 was on my list of final candidates. There were two LBS that were carrying them in my neck of woods, but when I went looking for a road bike this year, both shops were nolonger carrying Raleighs. They were replaced by Gaint at one shop and the Specialized at the other. Not sure why they discontinue carry them, I didn’t think to ask at the time. Given that two very good shop discontinued carry them, which kind of gives pause in recommending them to you.

On the other hand, I can definitely recommend the Giant. I have a Rainer and it has taken everything I can throw at it. Giant makes awsome bikes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
garyfnewbie said:
Yeah I also am thinking that for the money im willing to spend, a HT will be best cause of the better components. I looked at a '04 marlin today, w/ the genesis geometry, it was pretty nice...if they can find a 19.5 frame i might get that.

I tell ya what tho, I have been riding my friends 4300 lately, and it is nowhere near as fun to ride as my old gitchee goomie w/ no suspension. It's too bad treks and GF'ers are so much alike now...but maybe that genesis will make it better to ride.

Oh and I'm still looking into Giants....they look decent...now i just have to find a dealer!
According to one of the local Trek dealer, Trek has real started to "borrow" GF design in the last couple of years. So, there might not be too much of a difference in geometry between the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just bought my new bike tonight. I ended up getting a Marlin by Gary Fisher after several eBay auctions on Giants fell through. I got the blue one with tribal fire on it. I have only rode it around campus as i only got it tonight, but it seems pretty nice. It shifts a little rough at times, but I figure it just needs worn in. Also the Manitou 6 front shock is ok, but seems to be extra cushy, even when it is adjusted to be stiffer...hmm. All in all I think I will be happy with it. It has good components and a decent shock, also the genesis I really enjoy. Well theres your update, thanks for the imput guys.
-Caleb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts