Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always worked on my motorcycles/cars etc... I'm wanting to start wrenching on my own bikes now.

I'm in the market for a new bike, so after I make my purchase I want to tear into my existing bike. It's a SE Stout 29er in a 21" frame. The frame always felt a bit big, so I want to swap to something smaller. Particularly the On-One Inbred

The the question is... Will it all swap over? I also have BB7's on the Stout. Will these work? The website says the inbred doesn't work with most mechanicals...

I'm looking at the On*One inbred here.
http://www.planet-x-usa.com/On-One-Inbred-29er-Single-Speed-LTD-Edition-p/froossltd29.htm

Here is what I could find on the SE...
2011 29" Stout | SEBikes.com

I'm also going to put a suspension fork on it.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
BB7s will work fine with a bit of care. The bigger the frame the easier it gets. I have a 160mm on the rear of a 18" and it's fine. If you've worked on cars and motos, you'll have no problem. The Inbred rides better than the Stout (I had one too).

·
Registered
717 Posts
I can't believe I bought an aluminum G29 unbranded frame from bikeisland when for $75 more I could have gotten this steel on one frame. Damn...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BB7s will work fine with a bit of care. The bigger the frame the easier it gets. I have a 160mm on the rear of a 18" and it's fine. If you've worked on cars and motos, you'll have no problem. The Inbred rides better than the Stout (I had one too).
Any idea on the other parts swapping over?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with swapping all the parts over. It's hard to find the exact specifications for the Stout, but it appears to use the same standard sized parts. Same seatpost size (27.2mm), same 1 1/8 straight headset, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ran into the issue with my inbred and the rear brake arm hitting the frame before i tensioned the brake. Once i had it tightened up it barely cleared but i ended up with a free set of 203's and it solved any issue with that. That said i ran 160's with tektro io's and deore mechanicals.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I think swapping will work fine, but I'd consider a few minor upgrades at the same time. I'd get better cranks with an easy to install BB like the GXP. What fork are you thinking? I like the Inbred best with a 100mm. Rigid is good, but the front is low to me with a 465 carbon.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think swapping will work fine, but I'd consider a few minor upgrades at the same time. I'd get better cranks with an easy to install BB like the GXP. What fork are you thinking? I like the Inbred best with a 100mm. Rigid is good, but the front is low to me with a 465 carbon.
I was thinking a 120mm fork. I just like a little more squish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts