Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I seem to endo or crash (not that often, but it does happen) the handle bars get twisted violently and the brake and shifter assemblies jam into the side/top of the top tube. So far I have done this 3 times, and therefore there are 3 seemingly deep scratches in the frame. I don’t know how thick the coat of paint is, or how thick the frame is, so I don’t know how deep the gouge is. It could have just taken off the paint, but it looks like it dug into the actual frame a little bit.

First off, is this going to be a problem in terms of the frame rusting?

Secondly, is there anyway I can protect the frame from future gouges? I have a small piece of strong, light, easily bendable metal that I could cut and wrap around the frame where these gouges usually happen. I think I might do this but I'm worried that the two metals might corrode or something. Are there other problems that I am not seeing in this? (weight really isn't an issue, nor is cosmetics)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
What you have to do to keep the levers from killing your top tube is to keep them somewhat loose, so when they strike the bar, they move instead of scratching or denting the top tube. What I do is tighten them enough that you can lift the bike by them, but if you pull harder than that, they move.
Also, I think is unnecessary, ist to get some large shrink wrap, that you heat to shrink, and put it on the levers to keep from scraching too. Like I said, I wouldn't do it, but its a thought. good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geist262 said:
What you have to do to keep the levers from killing your top tube is to keep them somewhat loose, so when they strike the bar, they move instead of scratching or denting the top tube. What I do is tighten them enough that you can lift the bike by them, but if you pull harder than that, they move.
Thats a great idea, I will definitely do that! Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rust isn't a problem if your bike is AL. As for the scratches I wouldn’t even worry about it. I just brought a new P2 and I’m doing lots of dirt jumping and urban assault stuff get scratches all the time. Scratches are going to happen if you ride: simple as that. Its good to know that you are actually using your bike and falling cuz that’s how you get better.

You could angle your break levers so that you can spin your handle bars around without hitting your top tube or put some electrical tape around the areas where the handle bars hit your top tube. Those are two simple fixes. If you are worried about corrosion just take some clear nail polish and put it in the cracks of the bike… that’ll seal up the crack.

Also stop worrying so much about the bike. It’s meant to be used. In five years of riding there are going to be bigger problems then just scratches and you’ll end up getting a new bike anyhow. So you might as well enjoy it and get a lot of use out of it and just buy another in 5-7 years. Bikes aren’t meant for life.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dukeblaster said:
Also stop worrying so much about the bike. It's meant to be used. In five years of riding there are going to be bigger problems then just scratches and you'll end up getting a new bike anyhow. So you might as well enjoy it and get a lot of use out of it and just buy another in 5-7 years. Bikes aren't meant for life.
Thats good advice and a good reminder. Sometimes I just worry a little too much about my bike....it happens.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about scratches either, its the dents I would worry about. Just adjust those levers, I wouldn't put anything on them to keep the scratches off. Its the intergirty of the top tube you are trying to keep by adjusting the tension on the brake levers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.